PDA

View Full Version : Why own a large shank action?

Pages : [1] 2

geezerhood
02-23-2016, 04:39 PM
I added up all my Savage actions - 12 - doesn't seem like enough, but it will have to do.

All but two of them are small shank, a short action center / controlled feed with the centerfeed DBM layout and a long controlled feed 300 Ultra Mag length with the old style non center feed mag box originally (not now, using it in a chassis) attached to the action.

I planned on holding on to the large shank to use for a 338 Edge build sometime this spring/summer, but do you really need the large shank for the Edge? My other factory built RUM rifle is a small shank.

After looking at my barrel inventory, I have only a 4 large shank factory barrels that would work on the short action, none really appeal to me and none that need a long action, so the short large shank doesn't really seem needed for anything. I have been considering getting rid of both of the actions and all the large shank barrels and replacing the actions with small shank versions eventually so that I only have to deal with one barrel shank size making every barrel fit on every action I own.

Are there other benefits to keeping a long and a short - large shank action that I am missing, other than possible "deals" on used large shank barrels in the future? (Something to consider for sure.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / input.

geargrinder
02-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Short answer- no.

A small shank is fine for anything up to and including RUM sized magnums.

Once you get into the Lapua/Large Weatherby sized cases, you really need to get an action designed specifically to handle those sized cases.

mattri
02-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Aren't the large shanks preferred for hanging long heavy barrels from? I seem to remember that shooters using 30"+/- bull barrels off of F-Class or similar set ups prefer the large shank.

idunham
02-28-2016, 12:24 PM
So, if i wanted to build a .338 Edge, i could still use a standard Long Action for this build?

...I didn't realize that action could withstand that amount of pressure.

I would assume i'd have to change the bolt head out to a Magnum bolt head? Or is my assumption incorrect?

psharon97
02-28-2016, 01:01 PM
Yes you can build a 338 edge off a savage action. If it were me though, I would start looking at custom actions designed to handle the higher pressures.

Robinhood
02-28-2016, 01:39 PM
If it were me though, I would start looking at custom actions designed to handle the higher pressures.

If you decide you like to shoot the edge often this is good advice.

LongRange
02-28-2016, 02:42 PM
it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy when im shooting way over pressure charges.

idunham
02-28-2016, 05:40 PM

Are you shooting 338 edge without any issue with a standard long action?

LongRange
02-28-2016, 05:56 PM
No I'm just shooting a couple of 260rems now but 1 was a 300wm that I ran at high pressures.

idunham
02-28-2016, 06:15 PM

No I'm just shooting a couple of 260rems now but 1 was a 300wm that I ran at high pressures.

How long did you shoot the win mag, and how well did the action handle it?

LongRange
02-28-2016, 06:46 PM
Shot 3 barrels out on the WM...the factory barrel and 2 28" S8 contour shilens and 2(working on the third)as a 260 and the actions is running just fine.

idunham
02-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Shot 3 barrels out on the WM...the factory barrel and 2 28" S8 contour shilens and 2(working on the third)as a 260 and the actions is running just fine.

This excites me, and bums me out all at the same time. I acquired a savage LA, and i am building a .243WIN out of it. However, i really wanted to be a .338 Edge, but thought i needed a Magnum action for it.

Shame, because i already ordered my Barrel from Jim at Apache...otherwise i'd change my order up real quick.

LongRange
02-28-2016, 07:48 PM
I'd suggest you stick to the 308 base cartridges...mags are expensive to shoot...if you shoot a lot you might want to look at a 6.5mm for your next barrel.

idunham
02-28-2016, 08:27 PM
I'd suggest you stick to the 308 base cartridges...mags are expensive to shoot...if you shoot a lot you might want to look at a 6.5mm for your next barrel.

I know the mags are expensive, but it would just be awesome to have one.

I almost built a 6.5mm Creedmore, but stuck with the .243 because of the availability and affordability of the brass.

DrThunder88
02-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Aren't the large shanks preferred for hanging long heavy barrels from? I seem to remember that shooters using 30"+/- bull barrels off of F-Class or similar set ups prefer the large shank.

If they're more or less untapered like small shank bull barrels, a large shank bull barrel would be stiffer due to its increased girth.

LongRange
02-28-2016, 08:41 PM
I know the mags are expensive, but it would just be awesome to have one.

I almost built a 6.5mm Creedmore, but stuck with the .243 because of the availability and affordability of the brass.

it is fun.

geargrinder
02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Are you shooting 338 edge without any issue with a standard long action?

I've built and shot many RUM and WSM based rifles built on Savage small shank actions. There have been no issues- zero. Not even with hot loads that make the bolt sticky and leave ejector marks on the brass.

An Edge is perfectly safe built on a Savage action. There is no need to seek out a custom action.

BarrelBurner
02-28-2016, 09:18 PM
One thing you might consider if there are any plans for a .300 RUM or .338 Edge down the road, the magazine cut out is longer on the large shank long action as compared to the small shank long action. Odds are you will have a single shot with the small shank running either of these cartridges.
However I am running the VLDs in my Edge about 5/16" longer than mag length on mine so I run it most of the time as a single shot anyway, go figure.

yorketransport
02-28-2016, 09:35 PM
How long did you shoot the win mag, and how well did the action handle it?

The actions hold up pretty well to some substantial abuse. I have a small shank long action that's endured some questionable loads from a few RUM based wildcats and is taking it all in stride. I also have a large shank target action that's been subjected to almost 1000 rounds from my 375 BME shooting 350gr MKs over 3000 fps. Both actions have experienced some degree of bolt lug set back though.

I feel better about running the RUM rounds on a large shank. A little extra metal around the chamber isn't a bad thing in my mind.

Dennis
02-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Short answer- no.

A small shank is fine for anything up to and including RUM sized magnums.

Once you get into the Lapua/Large Weatherby sized cases, you really need to get an action designed specifically to handle those sized cases.

I agree with geargrinder.

I have a 7mag (small shank) Long Action Savage, I unscrewed the 7mag barrel and screwed a 338 Edge barrel on it (small shank). I tweaked the accu-trigger, and it's worked for me. I built it to hunt with. I will say it packs a punch shooting 300 grain bullets, but I mostly shoot 165 Barmes Tripple Shock bullets and I can do it all day long with no shoulder pain. Plus I love the 4,200+ fps, it shoots like my 22-250 on quad steroids. The 300 grain Bergers, well after about the 15th shot, my shoulder, well let's just say I have to put the gun down for the day.

Also, this 338 Edge is incredibly very accurate. I have completely covered up 3 shots (300 grn bullets) with a quarter @ 300 yards. It's one heck of a rifle. I have thought about selling it, but I just can't see doing it. I have very little in it compared to a Lapua 338 and I really believe it shoots better than the Lapua.

If you build one, DON'T go overboard working up your load. START very low and work up. Shawn Carlock's website shows a few different loads he recommends.

Dennis