PDA

View Full Version : Model 10FCP .223 first round failure to feed

MNGunner
02-22-2016, 11:25 PM
I just bought a new Savage 10 FCP yesterday in .223 (side bolt release, bottom mag release). I have not fired this gun--only took off stock, thoroughly cleaned it of packing grease, and put stock back on. When I load a full mag (4 rounds), the first round always has a failure to feed no matter how fast or slow I close the bolt. It's like the back of the cartridge pops up too fast and out of the chamber. The bolt hits the cartridge below the neck and dents the brass badly. Mag is seated perfectly. This is factory Remington 55gr MC ammo.

The next three cartridges load perfectly fine. If I start with three rounds, they all load perfectly fine. It's like the mag spring is too tight under full spring tension and/or, the mag lips fail to hold the cartridge long enough and with full tension cause the back of the cartridge to pop out.

I'm tempted to buy another mag to see if that's the issue (which are there any good aftermarket mag brands) to see if that's the problem. Or should I bend the mag lips in or try to adjust the mag spring??

Any advice?

Thanks

Dennis
02-22-2016, 11:43 PM
Load capacity is 4. I am not sure if this is including one in the chamber, and 3 in the magazine.

Only thing I could do is experiment with mine, tomorrow.

If you do have another magazine close by, it's worth a try and you will have an extra one. I will be in my shop tomorrow and will try mine.

JMO, Dennis

MNGunner
02-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Load capacity is 4. I am not sure if this is including one in the chamber, and 3 in the magazine.

Only thing I could do is experiment with mine, tomorrow.

If you do have another magazine close by, it's worth a try and you will have an extra one. I will be in my shop tomorrow and will try mine.

JMO, Dennis

In the manual it lists "Magazine Capacity" as 4. I also thought I saw it listed as a 4+1 on other websites. That's be great if you could give yours a try.

I was thinking of getting another mag to see if that's the issue, but I'd first like to see if there is something I could do with this one to make sure it's the mag and not the gun. I have an email into Savage Customer support but have not head back yet and wanted to see if others on here have had the same issue.

Thanks

Texas10
02-23-2016, 02:01 PM
I have the exact same problem with a model 12FV in 223 and blind center feed magazine, but this issue first surfaced after a stock change. Now I'm thinking the magazine might be slightly out of place. First round pops up too far and gets jammed by the bolt as it moves forward.

Something else that just jumped to mind as I write this is perhaps I'm loading the bullet a bit too far out and the tip catches under the barrel as it comes out of the mag, or I'm not careful enough in loading the rounds and forcing them all the way towards the rear as I press them into the mag.

MNGunner
02-23-2016, 06:26 PM
I have the exact same problem with a model 12FV in 223 and blind center feed magazine, but this issue first surfaced after a stock change. Now I'm thinking the magazine might be slightly out of place. First round pops up too far and gets jammed by the bolt as it moves forward.

Something else that just jumped to mind as I write this is perhaps I'm loading the bullet a bit too far out and the tip catches under the barrel as it comes out of the mag, or I'm not careful enough in loading the rounds and forcing them all the way towards the rear as I press them into the mag.

I've tried stacking all the rounds to the far back of the mag. I tried leaving the mag loaded with four rounds overnight to see if the mag spring needed to be seated.

I didn't try chambering a round from a full mag before I took the stock off to clean it (it's a factory stock), but I would think if there were an alignment issue, then the final three rounds would also have problems. They don't the final three rounds function flawlessly.

I just tried calling Savage and spent 20 min on their automated phone loop (which is annoying because I happen to be home from work early today and I typically can't call from work). They also haven't replied to my issue I submitted via the phone yet.

I'm tempted to order another mag (I can find them for $43 online), but that too is annoying since it's a brand new gun, and if it is a problem with the gun, I don't like spending money necessarily on an unneeded part.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, what was the fix??

Thanks

MNGunner
02-23-2016, 08:21 PM
I've tried stacking all the rounds to the far back of the mag. I tried leaving the mag loaded with four rounds overnight to see if the mag spring needed to be seated.

I didn't try chambering a round from a full mag before I took the stock off to clean it (it's a factory stock), but I would think if there were an alignment issue, then the final three rounds would also have problems. They don't the final three rounds function flawlessly.

I just tried calling Savage and spent 20 min on their automated phone loop (which is annoying because I happen to be home from work early today and I typically can't call from work). They also haven't replied to my issue I submitted via the phone yet.

I'm tempted to order another mag (I can find them for $43 online), but that too is annoying since it's a brand new gun, and if it is a problem with the gun, I don't like spending money necessarily on an unneeded part.

Anyone else have this issue and if so, what was the fix??

Thanks

I *think* I made some headway on this after some of fiddling, but I'd still like to hear others advice. I think it's a combination of things:

1. The mag lips are pretty weak and probably right at the edge of holding the cartridge in (I can see them flex out after putting in the fourth round).
2. When I insert a completely full mag, if there's any abrupt click (and I'm not slamming the mag in) the mag spring is under enough tension with four rounds to start to lose control of the top round. The mag lips are then more on the side of the case than on top of it but not super noticeable.
3. the feed ramp is just a little rough.

With this combo it seems that when the bolt pushes the cartridge forward, it is slowed by the rough spot and at this point less of the length is being held in by the mag lips (which are already stretched open and only gripping the sides and less of the upper sides of the cartridge). This causes the cartidge to flip up and out of the chamber and get pinched between the breech and the bolt.

So, I found if I just push in the mag SUPER gently and then make sure the top cartridge is all the way in the mag and not spreading the lips open it seems to work.

I'd like to order a less finicky mag to see if this is exactly the issue. Are there any aftermarket mags for the model 10?

Twinsen
02-27-2016, 06:02 PM
Is the magazine or rifle of Savage manufacture? If so, there's your problem.

Aamity
02-28-2016, 06:45 PM
My FCP-k .223 holds 5+1 with factory mags even though the specs say mag capacity is 4. I bought a second savage factory mag from Midway and it is the same. I have never had any feeding problems. Sounds like you may have a defective mag.

MNGunner
03-01-2016, 09:40 AM

Yes. it is the factory mag that came with the gun. Are there better non-Savage mags? Who makes them?

MNGunner
03-01-2016, 09:42 AM
My FCP-k .223 holds 5+1 with factory mags even though the specs say mag capacity is 4. I bought a second savage factory mag from Midway and it is the same. I have never had any feeding problems. Sounds like you may have a defective mag.

I ordered a second mag (factory Savage). It should be here today. If that one has no problems then I think I'll send in the one the gun game with back to Savage.

Thanks

MNGunner
03-01-2016, 09:42 PM
I ordered a second mag (factory Savage). It should be here today. If that one has no problems then I think I'll send in the one the gun game with back to Savage.

Thanks

Just got the new factory mag. Loaded it up with four rounds, clicked it gently into the rifle with the bolt open and all four rounds shot straight up out of the mag! Never seen anything like that. I then reloaded it, inserted it ever so carefully, and chambered a round. When I pulled the bolt back to eject that round, another one shot straight up out of the rifle. I did this a couple more times and multiple rounds get ejected from the mag each time. The lips need to be bent way in, but I'm not going to mess with a brand new mag.

Savage needs to get their Quality Control on the mag lips in order..... To be honest, when I started researching .17HMRs, that was the consistent knock against Savage--poor magazine performance. I thought it was just an issue with .17HMRs rifle, but so far I've gotten two lemons in .223.

Who makes a good aftermarket mag for Savage model 10s??

Front Royalty
03-01-2016, 09:58 PM

***grabs popcorn***

Twinsen
03-02-2016, 12:46 AM
Yes. it is the factory mag that came with the gun. Are there better non-Savage mags? Who makes them?

I've had pretty terrible luck with Savage magazines. They stepped away from staggered feed, AICS, and towards that 10 round thing that doesn't work and Axis magazines that also don't work.