PDA

View Full Version : 10t action/barrel upgrade

xcountryguy04x
02-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Alright guys. I picked up a 10t .308 24" 5r barrel at my local cabelas as many have on sale for $500. The gun is a shooter out of the box. I can't complain a bit. I have got it down to .3 moa with my hand loads. I have fell in love with shooting the .308 round, and as I do with everything I own, I am looking to improve its accuracy some more. Iv got 2 new powders to try, just haven't got around to it just yet. Ok, back on topic. I'm not an f class shooter by any means, but do compete at my local range. I have been thinking about doing a savage target action, and shilen select barrel (unless you guys talk me out of a shilen). My biggest question here is, is there accuracy to be gained from a target action over my model 10 action currently setting in the gun with a match grade barrel? I know I'm limiting my stock selection with a target action, my biggest pet pev about the whole thing. Just looking for some insite. I know sombody has done it?

JW
02-23-2016, 06:40 AM
Welcome to the forum
I own a target action and standard actions, large and small shank.
One of my most accurate rifles is on a standard savage small shank action but I also have a very accurate target action rifle
That being said, the target action is nice to single feed compared to single feeding a magazine rifle and you can get different port locations
If you are going with the stock accu trigger, the target action can be set at a lower pull weight
I have had good success with shilen barrels as well as criterion
There are a lot of good blind mag stocks that the target action will fit
Have you bedded your stock,checked barrel and tang free float to see if helped on accuracy? ( .3 moa is pretty good as it is)
I am not sure if any of this helps just my take on it. others will chime in
My experience--If you are wanting a target action now and settle for the standard action, you will be thinking: I wish I had got the target action LOL

Jack