PDA

View Full Version : Please confirm my data

Texas Solo
02-22-2016, 08:16 PM
I've been shooting 80gr Berger VLD's in my .223 Wylde chamber with 24.5gr Varget.
That's 1/2gr under max with excellent results.
Now I want to try the 82gr Berger BT Match because of the different ogive it has.

Here's the question: Hodgdon site shows 25.0 max Varget with the 80gr VLD's.
It shows only 21.5 max for the 82gr. ??????????????????

I don't understand how 2 more grains of bullet can make that big a difference in the max load data.

No, I won't be attempting max, that's not my intent. But when comparing datas, it's just useful to compare the max loads to see how they compare.

Other websites don't even list the 82gr bullet, nor do my Sierra or Lyman manuals.
Can someone please look this stuff up and tell me what you find for the 82gr Berger and Varget??

Thanks much.

bc83
02-23-2016, 12:07 AM
Don't have a book with that bullet but if the bullet has more contact surface on the rifling that cause more pressure that's why the max charge weight is lower.

darkker
02-23-2016, 12:33 AM
Book data isn't supposed to be copied, but a reference. Since they don't list burning rate and lot numbers of tested powder, the more appropriate thing to note is the velocity.

Specifically to your question, it's in bearing surface. Go to Berger's site and you can download the spec sheet.
80gr VLD = 0.339
82gr = 0.371.
Quite a bit of difference in bearing surface.

Texas Solo
02-23-2016, 10:56 AM
more bearing surface = more drag = more pressure. Now I got it. Thanks.