PDA

View Full Version : 6.8spc

bigred94
07-04-2010, 04:42 PM
hi folks, have a question for anyone and everyone out there. i want to convert a savage 110 to the 6.8spc round. first what will be the best rifle to start with (223 243 etc) second what all will have to be done to complete this (new bolt etc).

trappst
07-04-2010, 04:49 PM
The 6.8spc will take a custom bolt head. IIRC, start with a .223 rem size head and it'll have to be opened up slightly. Not sure on the mags though.

Apache would be the man with the info. He and outlaw did a 20 cal wildcat on the spc case.

tammons
07-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I would start with a short action centerfeed 223.
Send the bolt head out and have it opened up, and bend the factory 223 mag feed lips out a bit.

Be sure to get a spc II chamber and a 11 or 12 twist.
Don't want a fast twist for the 6.8.
I think 20" is a good length for the 6.8, but anything from 16"-20"
works well.

Barnes just released 95 gr tipped bullets for the 6.8.
Good hog bullet.

I use the 110 gr pro hunter for deer.

Nor Cal Mikie
07-04-2010, 08:02 PM
The 6.8 SPC is just about the same length as a .223 so anything in the .223 .243 catagory should be good for a build.
I built one on my "J" action and it turned out to be a real shooter. I single load so I wasn't concerned about feeding from the mag. Might take a little tweaking of the mag but I would think you could get it to work without too much of a problem.
I went with a Pac Nor in SS, straight pipe, 5 groove, 1-11 twist in the SPC, 26" long.
I chose the SPC over the SPC II because I wanted the shorter throat so I could jam my bullets.
Still building loads but the first 3 shots out of the barrel went into the same hole. I'am working with 90 and 110 grain bullets. 3/4" groups are the norm.
10 out 10 hits at 440 yards.
As the throat wears I can go with the heavier bullets as needed. I made up a dummy round and had the barrel throated with the 90 grain bullets set at the shoulder neck junction. The throat will only get longer. ;)
I liked the idea of the 6.8 SPC because it had a little more pep than the .223 and less recoil than the .308. So far I couldn't be any more pleased.
Had a friend open up a .223 bolt head. Must have taken him all of 2 minutes. ;) No problems with extraction. I've heard mention about a modified extractor plate being needed but the standard .223 works good so far.

defoxer
07-05-2010, 07:05 AM
SPC is officially the same length as the 223 and only just fatter which means the centrefeed mag will possibly not require any work at all though I havent tried it myself so I may be wrong but considering I find the 223 difficult to load with centrefeed mag; a bit of adjustment probably wouldnt hurt.

If you open up the 223 bolt face, go an extra half mm or so (to 11.55=11.35+clearance 0.2mm) and your bolt will be right for the PPC and soviet family of chamberings as well as the SPC family (25/30/32REM).

D

bluealtered
07-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey Nor Cal Mikie, i have been wondering how that project turned out. While going around all the shooting sites, i keep seeing more and more interest in a 6.8 bolt rifle. blue

Nor Cal Mikie
07-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Well, the fact that it's on a Savage platform, you can change calibers in minutes.
I'am still working on loads but the accuracy is there. I just have to spend more time tweaking the loads. Recoil in very mild. A different stock design would help too.
I've got a pretty good selection of 90 to 110 bullets to work with so I just need more trigger time. I'am running pretty low pressure loads. I like the 6.8 SPC so I got the bug and had reamer cut for a 6.8 BR Wildcat. Working on a barrel then I'll get into action. Lots of 17s,22s,30s, and 7MM but no 6.8 in the BR so I thought I'd give it a try. The guys at PT&G said it was a first. I'll have to get it going and see how it works.
The guys were talking about feeding from a mag and my bet is that it wouldn't take much to get it to work well without too much problem. And a cemter feed might be even better yet. A .243 mag might be a better bet? Might be better to close up the feed lips a bit than try to open one up?? Get after it guys. ;)