PDA

View Full Version : How far is too far gone?

Turbolung
02-22-2016, 12:10 AM
Hello Everybody,

I have an old Stevens 110e chambered for 270 Iv been cleaning up and noticed the rifling in the last 4 inches of the muzzle are NOTICEABLY more worn than the chamber end. Iv only shot it a few times which was to knock a branch off that had a hornets nest...accomplished that..but curious is I should forget trying to use it for a 500 yard shooter. Aside from the rifleings being dang near slick compared to the rest..ot looks to be in good shape..no pitting or scratches etc. I know shooting it is the only answer to my question..just curious what you Fellers have to say about it based on your own experience. Also, is there a source, and price point for a factory take off barrel from a Savage 110? I'd really like to be able to use this rifle being its a family gun, and know it would be a fine deer rifle..but I really wanna try my hand at long shots. I know 1000 yards isn't realistic given its condition..but like I said..5 or 600 would be cool..

Mad Dog
02-22-2016, 11:09 AM
There is usually a 270 barrel for sale here in the for sale section for about $50-$75.

J.Baker
02-22-2016, 11:12 AM
I'd say that barrel is probably toast. The muzzle end of the barrel is the last to touch the bullet so if it's worn out I can't see it shooting very well.

Turbolung
02-22-2016, 06:45 PM
Okee dokee..I figured...thanks for that tip for the barrel Mad Dog..I gotta figure out where that sale link is..

Bolthead
02-23-2016, 05:39 PM
Used barrels are generally pretty cheap, especially 270s and 30-06. You will need to become a paid member to access the classifieds, but it is well worth it.