PDA

View Full Version : Berger or Lapua?

e.maynard16
02-21-2016, 10:58 PM
Working on a 7mm rem mag long range build. Looking at a few different bullet options but the two I'm most concerned with are the Berger Hybrid 180g and the Lapua Scenar 180g. Does anyone havery any experience with either? Pros, cons, suggestions?

Oh btw, new to the forum.. look forward to talking with you all.

Eric

WinnieTheBoom
02-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I've always had better luck with Bergers in any caliber. Mostly because they're more widely available from LGS, and thus don't find a need to try the Scenars. Both are going to be very good from a consistency standpoint, but depending on application, but any performance difference between the two will be negligible at most.

psharon97
02-22-2016, 09:30 AM
I shoot the hybrid out of my 7mm rem mag. One advantage which is huge, is that I have never had to fight seating depth with these bullets. I've had the same experience with my 260 with the 140g hybrid.

yobuck
02-22-2016, 09:44 AM
Working on a 7mm rem mag long range build. Looking at a few different bullet options but the two I'm most concerned with are the Berger Hybrid 180g and the Lapua Scenar 180g. Does anyone havery any experience with either? Pros, cons, suggestions?

Oh btw, new to the forum.. look forward to talking with you all.

Eric

The 7 rem mag is a fine cartridge but wont be performing at its best with the heavier bullets.
A 7 ultra mag or 7 stw having more powder capacity and therefore velocity would benefit more from those bullets.
Even with those cartridges, the benefit wouldnt be visable as for trajectory untill about 1200 yards.
Thats been our experience in testing them against the 162 gr Hornady Amax at longer distances.
I would be using bullets in the 160s if i were you. Try a 162 gr Hornady match bthp bullet as the Amaxes are hard to find.
A load of about 65 gr h4831 will produce about 3000 fps. But as always start a little lower and work up.
You will also find the heavier bullets might require an 8 twist barrel to perform well.

wbm
02-22-2016, 10:19 AM
The 7 rem mag is a fine cartridge but wont be performing at its best with the heavier bullets.

+1.

e.maynard16
02-22-2016, 06:44 PM
Appreciate the input.

I'm running 1:8 twist specifically for the heavier bullets. I'm going to run 168s and 180s normally.

LoneWolf
02-22-2016, 06:57 PM
I have a buddy who runs the 180 Hybrid out of a 7RM. His drops pretty much match my 243win out to about 800. Then those 180's just sail away!

yobuck
02-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Appreciate the input.

I'm running 1:8 twist specifically for the heavier bullets. I'm going to run 168s and 180s normally.

If your looking for performance from a 7mm cartridge at distances that will exceed 1000 yds, i predict you will
be rechambering your barrel in short order. And you may well have commited to that with the 8 twist.
I personaly wouldnt be looking upon that as a mistake.

e.maynard16
02-22-2016, 07:41 PM
Back to the original question, Berger Hybrids or Lapua Scenar? Nevermind the grain weight, I'm simply asking for an opinion on bullet. I've run Bergers out of my 308 with good results but I've never run Lapua. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

m12lrs
02-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Back to the original question, Berger Hybrids or Lapua Scenar? Nevermind the grain weight, I'm simply asking for an opinion on bullet. I've run Bergers out of my 308 with good results but I've never run Lapua. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

I run the VLD's Hybrids and the Lapua

The Lapua scentar L is a superior bullet.

drybean
02-22-2016, 08:17 PM
My 6.5x284 loves the 136gr Lapuas

yobuck
02-23-2016, 12:10 PM

Im of the opinion youd be wise in letting the gun pick the bullet.

I have a friend who waited over a year for a new custom 338 from a very well known and very good gunsmith.
After about 50 rounds he sent the gun back complaining that it wouldnt shoot 300 gr Bergers as well as he wanted it to.
The gunsmith who i know very well said to him that it shot 300 gr SMKs very well and that was all he felt obligated to guarantee.
The guy said well i wont have a gun that wont shoot Bergers so order another barrel. The gunsmith told me that he is very concerned
over this. Ive never seen this guy shoot, how do i know i can satisfy him with another barrel. Suppose that one likes Sierras better also.

e.maynard16
02-23-2016, 09:52 PM
Im of the opinion youd be wise in letting the gun pick the bullet.

I have a friend who waited over a year for a new custom 338 from a very well known and very good gunsmith.
After about 50 rounds he sent the gun back complaining that it wouldnt shoot 300 gr Bergers as well as he wanted it to.
The gunsmith who i know very well said to him that it shot 300 gr SMKs very well and that was all he felt obligated to guarantee.
The guy said well i wont have a gun that wont shoot Bergers so order another barrel. The gunsmith told me that he is very concerned
over this. Ive never seen this guy shoot, how do i know i can satisfy him with another barrel. Suppose that one likes Sierras better also.

I hear you there.. thats just crazy and a huge waste of time and money.

I'm not saying that I'm going to run strictly berger or strictly lapua. I actually have some smk 168s that's I'm going to start with. I have the opportunity to purchase just about any weight in just about any brand at my local supply store. (Except lapua) I wanted an opinion from someone who has experienced both. Which show more consistency on the scale? The basics... That way I can make a more educated decision on whether or not to take the plunge and buy them online.

I understand that every barrel is going to act differently to different bullets. I know that my barrel is going to be selective, as well.

Thanks,
Eric