PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 555: Stevens Mod 555 Firing Problem

Twistofer
02-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Hi from Big Sky Country (MT)

I took the plunge and bought a Stevens 555 O/U about a week ago. I'm new to shotguns in general and own a Weatherby PA-08 as my first shotgun.

I took the 555 out to the range today and fired it for the first time. Both barrels went off, regardless of the selector switch. It didn't double fire, i.e. Boom-Boom, but fired a single double barreled shot, one BOOM. Thank the Maker, I was using target shells or I would have ended up in the mud. I put about 20 shells through it even switching the barrel selector back a forth a few times.

I am sending it back to Savage Arms. Has anyone else has this problem?

Twistofer

J.Baker
02-22-2016, 10:44 AM
I've heard of a few instances of double fires (boom-boom), but nothing of this nature. I have seen a few reports of doubles, but I think most of them were likely a result of not having the gun pulled tight to the shoulder when firing which resulted in a bump-fire of sorts due to the guns very light weight.

Twistofer
02-28-2016, 03:02 PM
In my research on line, this model has problems with both barrels going off at the same time. Savage Arms seemed familiar with this happening, and so, the gun has gone back to Savage Arms for either repair or replacement. I had no problems with the company regarding sending it back.

Twistofer
03-20-2016, 07:06 PM
Well, we're 4 weeks out and still no word from Savage on my shotgun. I can say I'm somewhat disappointed. Scanning the web, this seems to be a common problem with this model. Hopefully, I'll hear from them soon.

Twistofer
03-23-2016, 05:27 PM
Well, we're 4 weeks out and still no word from Savage on my shotgun. I can say I'm somewhat disappointed. Scanning the web, this seems to be a common problem with this model. Hopefully, I'll hear from them soon.

I called Savage...very nice response from the customer service people. BUT, the gun is not reparable, they will send a new gun, BUT, they don't know when. I'm talking to the LGS to get either a store credit or refund. Sorry to say it, but so much for Savage.

snowgetter1
03-24-2016, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the updates.

bobbyj
05-15-2016, 07:56 PM
I've been out of commission for a while and just noticed the 'red flag' on the Stevens 555 O/U thread and the problem of double discharging. I have one in .410 and I liked it so much, I went ahead and got one in 28 ga.

I used the .410 for skeet and mourning doves and I have been well satisfied with the gun for the money. I used it all season and had no hiccups. I haven't had a chance to use the 28 yet and I plan to this week and I'm hoping I don't have to go through what you guys have. I have dry fired both barrels and they cycle fine without recoil - I'll have to load up a couple and see what happens.

What is happening to the quality and reliability of the firearms we have come to depend on. It's a shame we have to put up with this. I know there are thousands of reasons why but gone are the days when you could count on Marlin or Remington or Savage and too many others. Colt, Winchester. Not so true anymore.

bobbyj