PDA

View Full Version : Axis Magnum

shoalwater
02-19-2016, 11:50 PM
Has anyone built an Axis in a magnum caliber yet? I am building a 6.5 SAUM and a buddy wants to build one on his Axis. I told him I didn't think it was a good idea being a small shank action, but wondering if you could do a 7 mag or something like that?

Rosco
02-20-2016, 08:22 AM
Dr Thunder has done a 300 WinMag on a small shank. Can't remember which forum but he has a dedicated thread.

upSLIDEdown
02-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Small shank doesn't really have anything to do with it. I have a 338 Edge built on a small shank 111 long action.

Now the Axis part, could theoretically, I guess. However, as Rosco pointed out, DrThunder88 (I think that's the SN) has his 'Maxis' project that is a 300WM on an Axis with no issues thus far.

DrThunder88
02-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Maxis project (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?45063-Axis-in-300-Winchester-Magnum).

As others have noted the shank diameter is not an issue I'm concerned with on the .300 Win Mag. Even for an ultra mag Axis my major hesitation would be the action length, which is too short to eject loaded rounds. Bolt thrust may also be a concern with UMs, but my experience with the. 300 Win Mag Axis gives me greater confidence than I might have otherwise.

shoalwater
02-20-2016, 05:59 PM
My concern on the shank size had more to do with building an SAUM on it, I think the regular magnums wouldn't be an issue for bolt thrust. I know Fred @ SSS has always recommended against build UM, WSM, or SAUM on small shank due the bolt thrust. Just wondering if the Axis being a closed top action might be more suitable for a WSM/SAUM build? I think it would be a perfect length action for a SAUM or WSM build, but I want to steer my buddy in a safe direction. It's so hard to find a stainless large shank Savage short action with a top side bolt release these days.

DrThunder88
02-21-2016, 02:42 AM
I can't speak to that beyond being a little fuzzy on how shank diameter affects bolt thrust. I did a fair bit of reading online about the subject prior to building, and there were no mentions of barrel shank thickness in discussions of bolt thrust. Dan Lija's article (http://riflebarrels.com/a-look-at-bolt-lug-strength/) is the most often cited source in this discussion, so I'll bring it up here as well. Chamber wall thickness only seems to come up in discussions of fatigue and brass growth, and what is written is in books that I don't have.

theloyalsavage
02-21-2016, 12:26 PM
Ask Savage directly. If you don't understand, they do.