PDA

View Full Version : Shilen Match VS Select Match barrels

82boy
07-03-2010, 11:23 PM
I know this is a opinionated question, but has anyone ever seen a difference between a Shilen Match and a Select match barrel ? I have a select match barrel, and thought about getting a match grade barrel. just wondering if anyone has experience with the two.

Does anyone know what the difference is? I have been told that the barrels start out the same way with same materials. I was told that the difference was with the lapping process. That they would take a barrel and lap it x amount of times, and if it passed inspection then it was a select match, if it did not pass then they would lap it again x amount of times, and check it, if it passed then it was a select match, if it did not, then they would lap it again, and if it passed inspection then it was a match barrel, if it did not pass then it was scrap.

I have also been told that the select match are of a better metal stock,and that the difference in group size would amount to 1/4" smaller with the select. I was also told that the Select match was hand lapped and the match was not.

So does anyone know the true difference? Does anyone have experience with the two barrels? I realize that this is highly subjective because barrels are like people and have their own personality, but can anyone prove that there is a significant difference between the two?

sharpshooter
07-03-2010, 11:39 PM
The difference is about 25 bucks.... ;D

82boy
07-04-2010, 12:10 AM
Well acutaly about $40.00

dcloco
07-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Raw barrel material is a very, very small market for the originating producer(s) of the product.

Some companies claim they have special metal in their barrels, but, if it is a stainless, it is the same stainless material that every other barrel maker offers. Same with moly.

dfrosch
07-04-2010, 07:56 AM
http://www.shilen.com/barrelGrades.html

Select Match barrels are all stainless. Match barrels are stainless or chrome moly. It appears that they hand lap all the stainless barrels, but only lap the chrome moly barrels as a special request.

The main difference is the inspection criteria. But, it is possible to have a Match barrel that conforms to the Select Match inspection criteria.

LSUBOY
07-06-2010, 01:59 AM
One is straighter that the other and cleans up easier but they both seem to shoot well. My select match cleans up without a trace of copper while the other tends to have a small amout of copper in it.

You will have to be a benchrest shooter to notice the difference in accuracy!

82boy
07-06-2010, 10:10 AM
You will have to be a benchrest shooter to notice the difference in accuracy!

Well, I am a competitive benchrest shooter, and this barrel is going on a LV benchrest for score gun.

DGD6MM
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Shilen's site says it all. If your shooting competitively of any sort and your barrel is not the straightest and tightest tolerance's they produce, then your more then likely leaving something on the table. I personally don't believe saving 40 dollars is worth it. I've never owned a Shilen Match, I have owned 2 Shilen Select Match, one I still have in 7rsaum. This 7 will shoot right with my Lilja and Krieger Barrels.

pdog06
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Is the $40 difference worth the chance of never knowing if the Select woulda shot better?

With all the other variables(load dev.,etc)thrown in the mix it may be hard to tell the difference in performance between the two, but I just wouldnt chance it for $40 if it were used for competition.

Now if it was for casual bench use and/ or varmint, I dont think it is as big a deal.

stevec
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
I have both and cant tell a difference but.........for my br rigs I cant seem to buy the match.

Just like the Shilen br bullets I have on the shelf, they shoot just as good as any bullet I have tried but, they have a ragged meplat and I cant bring myself to shoot them in comp. I know, just brain stew but I cant get past it.

Steve

northlander
07-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Just to clarify a point, I charge $20.00 more for the Stainless Select Match Barrels versus the Stainless Match. I would never let $20.00, less than 7% of the total price on a 26" barrel become an issue.

Jim Briggs
NSS

ThorBird
07-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I have a 7WSM select match, that is an incredibly accurate barrel. Beautiful finish, and cleans up as easy as my Kreiger 6BRX. I will spend the extra to get the select match to make sure I get the same thing the next barrel I buy from them.

stevem
07-09-2010, 08:48 PM
ThorBird. is that a lapped ss or an unlapped chorme moly barrel?
Steve

ThorBird
07-10-2010, 07:55 AM
It is the lapped Stainless Steel (select match).

Inrut24/7
07-18-2010, 07:26 AM
Which are the shilen barrels midway sells? i got one in 260 and it dosnt say if its select match or match.

dfrosch
07-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Midway sells the match barrels. They don't say it, but they list the match tolerances.

northlander
07-19-2010, 11:04 PM
Midway sells the Match Grade.

MikeCTX
07-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Have visited their plant, and can say that the SS Match/Select Match start off the same. It is not until later in the process that they determine which the barrel will be match or select match. The ss barrels are hand lapped - a little side note, everyone on the factory floor takes a trun at lapping barrels not just a group of people. I would not trade mine, and have been thinking about adding another one to replace the factory barrel on my 223 (just have to decide if it will stay 223 or become something else).

LSUBOY
07-31-2010, 11:36 PM
C'mon guys read the website stuff: The difference between the select match and the match is that when airguaged. the select match has to guage no more than .0003 and the match .0005. So like I said before, one is just a little bit straighter than the other.

MDM
08-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I think I'm gonna order a couple from midway. My birthday is approaching, so I can get 10% off, plus use a coupon code if they come out with some new ones. I figure I can get them for $230 or so. I think I'm gonna build twin 6.5x47's - one for me and one for my dad.