PDA

View Full Version : Mod 111 recoil lug fitment ?

NRFJR
02-18-2016, 01:50 PM
Hello all, Ok I have searched and cannot find the answer I am looking for. I have a model 111 LRH in 338 lapua mag. I got a new McGowen barrel for it and started the process of replacing the barrel my question is this, the old recoil lug nor the action have a means of keeping the lug in the correct location ( no tang or pin ) how do you keep the lug in the correct position and get the barrel nut tight. Thanks in advance for any input.

Bolthead
02-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Is there an indentation at the bottom of the front of the action where a pin or tang would normally go? You probably just need to replace the lug. Sounds like someone installed an incorrect lug at some point. I would not try to reassemble it without one. The lug is also responsible for keeping the action from torqueing to one side.

geezerhood
02-18-2016, 05:30 PM
Yup, no index pin or dimple on my 338 Lapua LRH also. The lug appears to me to be made of much better steel than all my other Savage lugs. You can drill the spot for the index protrusion and put a short roll pin or small screw in there. I have used Torx or Allen head screws before and filed the head until it was a perfect fit. If you don't make the index piece so it is flush with the bottom of the action, you will also need to open up a slot in the bedding block. I went with filing the index protrusion to where it was slightly below the curve of the action, as that was much easier to do than making a divot in the bedding block, plus it looks better to me.

My action wrench has a cutout for the recoil lugs so it makes it easy enough without an index bump or pin but sometimes I don't use the action wrench, so I like an index on the lug. Mine also had a significantly shorter lug on it which I am guessing is normal for the tupperware stocks with the metal bedding inserts (Is that called an Accustock? - never saw one before). I put my Lapua into a metal chassis and installed a small shank 300 WSM barreled action in the factory 338 LM LRH stock. I had to chop off quite a bit of the small shank factory recoil lug to get it to fit in that stock.

Now I have a mag fed repeater in 300 WSM made from leftovers......

NRFJR
02-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Thank you that was what I was thinking, I just needed some input from some one else who had seen this to make sure there wasn't something missing or wrong with the rifle, I bought the rifle new so no one but me has touched it. It is just getting the ( I want it to be like this ) upgrade, with a longer barrel and a 1-9 twist instead of the factory 1-9 1/4 twist. And yes that is the Accustock I have several rifles with them Thanks a lot!