PDA

View Full Version : Shooting software, apps, etc.

Pages : [1] 2

Hair_Boxers
02-18-2016, 12:35 PM
What software are folks using that's shooting related - reloading, shooting, hunting?

On my phone (Android) I run:
onX Hunt - for topo maps, private/public land boundaries, etc.
XFR - MagnetoSpeed Sporter app
PDF Maps - for backwoods navigation (mainly Forest Service MVUM files)

I may install Shooter for ballistic data rather than relying on websites and/or my printed spreadsheets.

I am hoping to find an app similar to the one Russ uses - Ballistic: Standard Edition - for Android. Checking out:
- MyShots
- TargetScan ISSF
- Plink Log

LoneWolf
02-18-2016, 01:10 PM
I use shooter for my ballistic info. It's been good in the desert, mountains, sea level, and pretty much any conditions I've ever used it in.

LongRange
02-18-2016, 02:58 PM
i use shooter as well...the big thing is getting out and shooting in different conditions and truing up the app...i have ballistics AE and its just to slow and kind of a PITA to set up...but im technically challenged.

yobuck
02-18-2016, 07:30 PM
Ok for a hundred dollars a shot, how many app users of any type be willing to take the bet for first round hits every time regardless of distance or conditions?

67tundra
02-18-2016, 08:00 PM
I have hodgdon reloading app. Nikon spot on. And a reloading calculator for finding out what each round cost.

LoneWolf
02-18-2016, 09:08 PM
Ok for a hundred dollars a shot, how many app users of any type be willing to take the bet for first round hits every time regardless of distance or conditions?
Ones been spot on for distance, but wind calls is still all on me!

LongRange
02-18-2016, 10:29 PM

Where are the $100 dollar shots taken from? And how big are the targets?

WinnieTheBoom
02-19-2016, 08:56 AM
I use Shooter and Bullet Flight L2 by KAC. Both of those are geared more towards LR shooting/ballistics than what you're wanting to do though.

As for using the apps vs. dope charts, they do pretty much the same thing. I think the main advantage is that you're able to change different factors under different conditions and still be pretty close to your mark. Obviously, windage is going to be on the shooter, and the guys shooting tactical comps are more than likely using hold-offs as they're much faster... I don't think first round hit probability would change much if at all using an app vs. not using one though.

yobuck
02-19-2016, 12:16 PM
O K Winnie for Hair Boxers benefit, im going to run a simple scenario by you.

Youve had a second job for 3 years saving for a trophy mule deer hunt in Colorado.
Your Savage 338 Lapua is just tearing ragged hole groups with 300 Bergers.
You feel confident out to about 1500 yds if necessary in taking a shot at a trophy.
You have your favorite ipod program, a Kestral wind meter with all the information it produces,
and 2 very good rangefinders. Your information has been set up for the 7000' + elevation you will be hunting in.
Your on the last day of your hunt which so far has produced nothing. But now at 11 am your guide has found a 30" plus
muley laying down in thick oak brush. You can clearly see his head, neck and most of his shoulders. You will be shooting
across a wide deep valley with a large stream. Both your rangefinders say almost the same distance at 1240 yds.
Your Kestral says 10 mph left to right wind. But youve also noted hawks flying above that seemingly never flap their wings.
Also youve noticed some airborne leaves on the opposite side occaisionaly. Your prone/bipod shooting position will be marginaly
comfortable due to the uneven terrain and the bipod will be at full elevation due to that also. Your guide has warned that a close
miss will probably end your oppurtunity. Besides that your heart is pounding much faster than normal and the hair you dont have keeps
getting in your face. Youve grown very confident in you ability in using your equiptment while practicing at home. But for some
reason you dont feel the same right now. Youve already dialed in all the information as gathered from your devices. But your guides
fears of one shot keep entering your mind and this aint no paper target and there aint no tomorrow.
The option you have although not without risk, is to swing say 100' to the left and send a shot at the base of a small tree
just where it touches the ground. It will certainly alert the deer but will it make him run off? The solid information gathered from the shot
might be worth the risk? The guide just shrugs his shoulders on the idea and leaves it as your call.
So Winnie, theres 2 out in the last of the ninth in game 7 and your up. What would you do?

LoneWolf
02-19-2016, 12:28 PM
Send it!:behindsofa:. If I practiced with my 243 and like I have at this range and beyond to just under 1400yds. the 338 is going to give me much more confidence. I'll close my eyes tae a deep breath focus on the task and get er' done. Once in a lifetime opportunity calls for once in a life time performance.

Hair_Boxers
02-19-2016, 12:34 PM
What would you do?

I pass on the shot and use every minute of legal hunting time to close the distance and eliminate variables that stand between me and a clean ethical shot that I am comfortable making every time first round.

Worst case Muley and tree both live to see another day, and I go home with great memories and a stalk story from the trip. Best case we pull it off we have an even more epic story about the rack hanging on the wall.

That's just me and how I operate in the field. Others would take that shot on the chance they could make it. I value a clean kill and not having the weight of a potentially wounded animal on my conscience.

yobuck
02-19-2016, 12:40 PM
Send it!:behindsofa:. If I practiced with my 243 and like I have at this range and beyond to just under 1400yds. the 338 is going to give me much more confidence. I'll close my eyes tae a deep breath focus on the task and get er' done. Once in a lifetime opportunity calls for once in a life time performance.

Dont forget, you will never catch up with a deer without a lower jaw, and he would die very slowly in a couple weeks.
Just things to consider.

LoneWolf
02-19-2016, 12:46 PM
No I understand, even though you provided a very solid scenario there's still a lot of unknowns that would be considered. A lot can happen in another 5-10min or more. However, if I was going on a hunt where shots lie this are more common. I would spend a lot of time in the off season preparing to be comfortable at these king of extended hunting ranges.

yobuck
02-19-2016, 12:59 PM
No I understand, even though you provided a very solid scenario there's still a lot of unknowns that would be considered. A lot can happen in another 5-10min or more. However, if I was going on a hunt where shots lie this are more common. I would spend a lot of time in the off season preparing to be comfortable at these king of extended hunting ranges.

Easier said than done. In another 5 minits he could decide he's hungry and just get up and walk off also.
And unless you feel like getting wet Hair Boxer, you wont be getting any closer.
Fact is there are only 2 options to choose from unless you choose to walk away.

Hair_Boxers
02-19-2016, 03:29 PM
To me, the most telling part about the answers to yobuck's question is that each person approaches it differently and will make the decision on what to do accordingly. There is no "right" answer in this situation, just the one that we are most comfortable with.

I never meant for this to become a discussion on hunting ethics, rather a thread to share what people use on the technology side to meet their needs. Yobuck throwing the "first shot" challenge out there is a good reminder that technology only goes so far and ultimately we are responsible for the choices we make with our weapons.

Stockrex
02-19-2016, 05:02 PM
I pass on the shot and use every minute of legal hunting time to close the distance and eliminate variables that stand between me and a clean ethical shot that I am comfortable making every time first round.

Worst case Muley and tree both live to see another day, and I go home with great memories and a stalk story from the trip. Best case we pull it off we have an even more epic story about the rack hanging on the wall.

That's just me and how I operate in the field. Others would take that shot on the chance they could make it. I value a clean kill and not having the weight of a potentially wounded animal on my conscience.

Here is my perspective being a new hunter

First a fancy wind meter that you hold in your hand is worthless when you are hunting out in rough terrain and shooting 1000 yards.
Any gaming infraction in CO is a felony. If your going to take a shot an animal, you better pray and make sure that you are able to track the darn thing.

Assuming that planets are all lined up in your favor and you take the shot, what happens if the muley moves in the seconds it takes your bullet reach him?
work hard to get close to the animal or have your buddies drive it towards you.

Stockrex
02-19-2016, 05:09 PM
To me, the most telling part about the answers to yobuck's question is that each person approaches it differently and will make the decision on what to do accordingly. There is no "right" answer in this situation, just the one that we are most comfortable with.

I never meant for this to become a discussion on hunting ethics, rather a thread to share what people use on the technology side to meet their needs. Yobuck throwing the "first shot" challenge out there is a good reminder that technology only goes so far and ultimately we are responsible for the choices we make with our weapons.

you need topo map, I use google maps.
you need blm/property ownership maps, subscription bases ones are pretty expensive, I am cheap, I do self hunt. you can get free maps and then overlay them on garmin etc. I am sure you can do the same with google maps or google earth, tell us if you figure it out.

ballistic software: you should range where you hunt BEFORE you go out to hunt and have markers identified for distances and have your cheat sheet. It is highly unlikely you will have the time plug in numbers into pda software, then dial it in, then check wind, then drink some gatorade, then then a beta blocker to slow your heart down, then kiss the bullet and load your rifle and take a shot.

muleyhuntr
02-19-2016, 06:14 PM
At 1240 yards with the scenario you suggested the 338 with 300 grain bullets should find its mark.
It's no different then a 350 yard scenario that 90% of the people take every hunt. The difference is you have the proper equipment and practice time behind the weapon.

I'm taking the shot! Being a bow hunter who practices year round you know your limits of an ethical first round hit. You know your equipment and it only increases your confidence in your shot. If something feels wrong of different you let down and fix the problem or get closer. A rifle is no different and a 338 with a 300 grain bullet leaves a lot of room on a marginal hit unlike an arrow.

yobuck
02-19-2016, 08:37 PM
At 1240 yards with the scenario you suggested the 338 with 300 grain bullets should find its mark.
It's no different then a 350 yard scenario that 90% of the people take every hunt. The difference is you have the proper equipment and practice time behind the weapon.

I'm taking the shot! Being a bow hunter who practices year round you know your limits of an ethical first round hit. You know your equipment and it only increases your confidence in your shot. If something feels wrong of different you let down and fix the problem or get closer. A rifle is no different and a 338 with a 300 grain bullet leaves a lot of room on a marginal hit unlike an arrow.

Are you implying that nobodys ever lost a deer using arrows? Or just you have never lost a deer using arrows?
Frankly ive never drawn a bow on even a target let alone an animal.
But many of my friends are very serious about archery. All will admitt to having lost a deer.
And you know what thats hunting, nobody likes or plans to do that.
And there is a major difference between 350 and 1240 yards even with the 338 Lapua.
But there is no question as to its ability here, just the shooter and how much faith he has in himself and his gadgets and programs when crunch time comes.

yobuck
02-19-2016, 08:49 PM
Here is my perspective being a new hunter

First a fancy wind meter that you hold in your hand is worthless when you are hunting out in rough terrain and shooting 1000 yards.
Any gaming infraction in CO is a felony. If your going to take a shot an animal, you better pray and make sure that you are able to track the darn thing.

Assuming that planets are all lined up in your favor and you take the shot, what happens if the muley moves in the seconds it takes your bullet reach him?
work hard to get close to the animal or have your buddies drive it towards you.

Well then the whole thing wouldnt apply to you because you wouldnt have placed youself in that situation anyway.
And thats fine, its your call how you go about hunting.
You know what, i dont own a windmeter and i dont know anybody else who does.