PDA

View Full Version : Custom objective multiplier?

Cope23
02-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Hi everyone. After searching all over the web for forever i can not seem to find this scope setup i have. It is a leupold 6.5-20x40. It has turret knobs and a really really fine straight line reticle. However before the power adjustment there is an incert threaded in that says premier 18x40 and was curious what this did and if it is a great add on. Last i knew one previous owner used it for silloette shooting on a 7mm mag. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

yobuck
02-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Hi everyone. After searching all over the web for forever i can not seem to find this scope setup i have. It is a leupold 6.5-20x40. It has turret knobs and a really really fine straight line reticle. However before the power adjustment there is an incert threaded in that says premier 18x40 and was curious what this did and if it is a great add on. Last i knew one previous owner used it for silloette shooting on a 7mm mag. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Premier reticles (was) in the business of installing custom reticles in (Leupold only) riflescopes. The company was founded shortly after ww2by Bob Thomas. His son Dick continued and expanded the buisness which had been located in Wardensville W V. Dick did custom reticles for me and lots of my friends and family members before target knobs were available on scopes. He was also an authorized service center for Leupold as well as a Leupold dealer. He later moved the company to Winchester Va where i believe they still might be. Dick died quite suddenly after the move and the buisness was taken over by his son who in turn took it in a completly different direction. They started building very high end scopes and i believe had a military contract for them at least at one time. They ceased doing any type work other than building scopes and repairing what they had done in the past if it was considered their problem.
It would seem to me based on your information that you have a fixed 18 power scope.
I would try contacting Premier in Winchester VA and ask your questions to them. If you dont get an answer or the answer you want, id be
calling T k LEE in Birmingham AL for questions on what they can do for you.

Cope23
02-18-2016, 12:02 PM
Thank you for the info. I will have to give em a call. The scope does change magnification its just the lowest setting it seems like its still zoomed in way more than 6.5. Again thank you for the info.

yobuck
02-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Premier, while under the direction of Dick Thomas did a variety of different things with Leupold scopes.
He also changed the power level of them from the standard factory levels. Lots of target shooters used
his services to do this and other things including reticles to their own specifications for their own particular use.
If your scope has a multible dot reticle it could be it needs to be set at 18 power for the dots to be alligned properly.
There would be little noticable difference between 18 and 20x which was the standard max power in the scope.
It would seem the original owner had a power change done which could also be changed back by sending it back to Leupold.

Cope23
02-24-2016, 01:20 AM
Thank you guys. The scope adjusts but not like a normal 6.5-20 would. And the reticle is super fine very hard to see in low light and if the sun is shinin just right. I mostly use it for tack driving and chuck huntin. I had it on my stevens 200 22.250 shootin nickels at 150. Now its graduated to the 308 model 11to see what she can do. I only got 34 rounds through her and can consistantly hit a quarter size circle at a hundred