PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: remove loctite

mlb1011
02-17-2016, 04:09 PM
I am sure this gets asked 3 times a week but, what will remove very old thread lock without damage to blueing? New to. Me 99 base a scope base that looks like they tried to bed it with lock tite

kkeene
02-18-2016, 06:15 PM
I use gun scrubber or brake cleaner. I don't know if it actually dissolved it or if wiping with a paper towel did the trick, but the threads came out clean. Always use an oil to prevent rust after using this stuff. Use outdoors when possible.

Keith

mlb1011
02-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks. This is the worst bubba scope base mounting I have ever seen.it looks like the front of the base was low. So instead of milling or even shimming, bubba laid a nice thick slab of blue goo and hoped it would "bed" the low spot .

The Old Coach
02-20-2016, 12:15 AM
Acetone, or MEK, (Methyl Ethyl Ketone). Latter is toxic, don't breathe it! Either one hard on wood finishes. Both obtainable in paint section at Lowes. Heat also, but it takes about 400 degrees F. for most grades.

mlb1011
02-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Old coach, thanks. I was thanking acetone but didn't know if it would damage the blue.

PetahW
04-22-2016, 06:52 PM

I've successfully removed Loctite from barrels & receivers on several dozen various guns over the past40-odd years, with no damage to the bluing.

I simply cut a wooden popsicle stick or tongue depressor on one or both ends - the single razor cut is a compound cut (freehand), at both a 45-degree angle , and a 45-degree bevel.

The cut scraper end should look like a wood chisel with a 45-degree end ILO a squared end - and is used to flake off the dried Loctite (but I also use the wooded sticks to shave away any semi-cured rifle bedding compound, that's oozed out onto the stock).

OTOH, a 45-degree bevel cut straight across the stick's width, works best on convex surface scraping.

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh638/handron/IMG_4131_zps52a17bcd.jpg