PDA

View Full Version : model 10 fcp HS Precision, 308 .176 group

7stw
07-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Recntly picked up my new 10fcp hs precision .308. After the usual shoot and clean routine, and fire forming some new brass, I settled down to see what she's made of with some "should be " accurate loads. BOY, I was gifted enough to squeeze out some exceptional groups, and REPEATABLE accuracy. The load that REALLY shined was 45,0 grains of H380, a 185 Lapua Scenar bullet, and WLR primer. that load shot into a 5 shot aggregate that measured .176. I could not beleive my eyes while I was shooting it. Another great shooter was 45, or 46 grains of Varget, br2 primer and 168 berger vld. That group was .306. I have been a Barrel nut freak for a short time now, and am amazed. This rifle is by far the most accurate and REPEATABLE rifle I have ever owned. I have owned and still do own some very accurat Remys, but not on this level. I once owned a 700p in .308. It was accurate, but NOT this accurate. I love the lop and the feel of this rifle when shouldered. The trigger is excellent. Action is smooth, and ejection is sweet. I do not have 40 rounds through it yet. Thanks to all that contributed when I opened a thread awhile back when I was considering this purchase. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.....7STW

82boy
07-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Good shooting!
Got any pictures?

Galveston22
07-03-2010, 10:51 PM
What brass are you using and what COAL?

kschilling
07-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Great Job!!!! Was that at 100 yards? Do you have the ability to shoot longer ranges? I'm interested in that H380.

7stw
07-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Good shooting!
Got any pictures?
82 boy, No i do not have pix, but do have the target. I do have a digital camera, but am computer stupid. I tried to send some other pix on another subject matter to a freind, and I beleive it is still out there in cyber space. If I ever do figure it out , I certainly will , and would be proud to share. By the way, some of your input influenced me to make the purchase. I'm glad I did. Thanks for the interest, and input.

82boy
07-04-2010, 04:56 PM
This may help.
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,3598.0.html

7stw
07-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Galvaston22, my coal was 2.762. I was using win brass that had been sorted and fired about 2 or 3 times. I have had good luck with win brass in other calibers as well. I used the WLR primer, knowing that H380 is better suited with a hot but not magnum primer, and the WLR is just that. I was amazed as that load was one that I have not used before, but I was given 2 pounds of h380, and a brick of WLR primers. I have plenty of the other usual stuff, but decided to give it a whirl. WOW, I'm glad I did. Those Lapua scenar are an awesome bullet. I have had similar results in my .300 saum , and the .300 Ultra-Mag. Good luck, and good shooting! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.....7STW

7stw
07-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Great Job!!!! Was that at 100 yards? Do you have the ability to shoot longer ranges? I'm interested in that H380.
yes that group was fired at 100 yds. We do have 350 yd range as well. I DO intend shooting at that distance as much as possible. In fact that is where I weed out some loads, or prove them as well. That particular day, I only had a few sample loads to test and cull. My intentions are to reload and try som at the longer range, to get a better idea. I am convinced that this rifle is shooter. I had no doubt when I purchased it. thanks for the interest. Will try to send pix if I ban figure it out.

Galveston22
07-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Galvaston22, my coal was 2.762. I was using win brass that had been sorted and fired about 2 or 3 times. I have had good luck with win brass in other calibers as well. I used the WLR primer, knowing that H380 is better suited with a hot but not magnum primer, and the WLR is just that. I was amazed as that load was one that I have not used before, but I was given 2 pounds of h380, and a brick of WLR primers. I have plenty of the other usual stuff, but decided to give it a whirl. WOW, I'm glad I did. Those Lapua scenar are an awesome bullet. I have had similar results in my .300 saum , and the .300 Ultra-Mag. Good luck, and good shooting! AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL.....7STW

Are you sure about the COAL (base to tip) being 2.762? Most .308 ammo is loaded 2.80"+ especially with longer bullets like the 185 scenars? I load my 185 Bergers to 2.930" COAL.

7stw
07-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Good shooting!
Got any pictures?
82 boy, thanks for the link to "picture posting 101". I read it and attempted to register at photobucket. I beleive that because I have Dial Up, it would not let us register. I tried twice, my wife tried twice as well. I did take a picture, and down loaded it to my computer. My wife said that I can send it to you in a E-mail. If you would send me your address, I will send it to you, then if you can post it. If you look on my site, my address is there. Thanks for your help. "Computer challenged".......7STW

7stw
07-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Are you sure about the COAL (base to tip) being 2.762? Most .308 ammo is loaded 2.80"+ especially with longer bullets like the 185 scenars? I load my 185 Bergers to 2.930" COAL.
Yes that is the length that was fired that day. When I loaded up to shoot those rounds, my primary purpose that day was to shoot and claean, and then punch some paper, and take the best ones and fine tune them. Well, that die was adjusted for another .308 that I own for hunting, and were loaded for ease of chambering. I know what you are getting at, cause they usually shoot better at least a little closer to the rifling. My only guess is that due to the long length of the 185, it was probably into the rifling before it left the brass anyway. I am going to fine tune that load, and the one using the berger VLD's. I will try the load again just as it is, and a few that will be a little longer.