PDA

View Full Version : Noob with decisions to make! Axis II xp vs. 11 TH please help

kylegmoore71
02-17-2016, 02:37 PM
Hello!
I am just jumping in and I'm picking up some hunting rifles for my girls. I have a friend that has a pretty good discount on guns, so I'm trying to decide between the savage axis II XP and the Model 11 TH.

I can get the Model 11 for $379, and wait for around 2 weeks to get it shipped to me, or I can go to the store and buy the axis II for $360 locally tomorrow.

The only real difference is that the local is the youth model(its for a 10 year old girl), and the 11 is full standard, so I'll have to cut the stock for now.

Grandpa has decided to get both girls Boyds stocks for Christmas, so I'm not all that worried about stocks.

How much better is the 11 than the axis II. Also, the guns are primarily for hunting, but we've got a nice range about 5 minutes from the house, so we'll definitely be doing some target shooting.

THanks!

idunham
02-17-2016, 03:28 PM
My personal opinion. Go with the 11.

11 has a lot of aftermarket accessories, and nicer gun all together (IMO)

Not taking away from the axis, but the 11 stands out to me as a better firearm.

Robinhood
02-17-2016, 03:29 PM
11 anything.

ottawacats
02-17-2016, 04:06 PM
I purchased a Axis .243 about 3 years, it is a fine hunting rifle. The trigger is heavy, the stock is a little flimsy but there are simple fixes for both that cost under $10. The easy mods are trigger spring trimmed and Rockite for the forearm of the stock. At that time there were very few upgrade items you could get for Axis, now there are many more options out there. My Axis is now wearing a Boyds thumbhole stock, 1 piece scope rail, vortex viper 4-16 scope and the trigger spring has been trimmed. It does work well, its my coyote gun.
I have purchased a model 11 .243 this past month as the upgrades are easier to find, also the gun is to a step up in quality. I would wait the two weeks or so and get the model 11, it just feels like a better gun overall. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet due to weather but in hand it just feels better then a my Axis.

Warrick
02-17-2016, 08:23 PM
model 11 and its not close. its just a better gun , not that the axis II is bad.

cm12setx
02-18-2016, 11:29 PM
If your friend has to order the 11 TH can he get the this one at the same cost.
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/11INTERNATIONALTROPHYHUNTERXPYTH

A good friend of mine has both a 11 TH regular and a 11TH youth. Both are in 7mm08 one for his wife and the youth for his 10 year old daughter. The rifles are great.