PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic stock bedding

Remingtonman
02-16-2016, 09:53 PM
Was wondering what a good bedding compound would be to use to bed a factory synthetic stock? Is brownells acraglass gel good for this? Also looking to reinforce the forend with rockite. Looking to hear other opinions on this. thanks guys

kkeene
02-16-2016, 10:12 PM
I use Devcon 2 part epoxy on both plastic and wood stocks.

I do not try to stiffen the stock fore end on a plastic stock as I don't want the added weight.

Keith

Remingtonman
02-17-2016, 07:35 AM
I use Devcon 2 part epoxy on both plastic and wood stocks.

I do not try to stiffen the stock fore end on a plastic stock as I don't want the added weight.

Keith

Wheres the best place to get Devcon at? thanks

rovert
02-17-2016, 07:58 AM

Devcon makes a bunch of two part epoxies. If I recall correctly, you want 10110. I'm not sure I've seen it in stores.

WinnieTheBoom
02-17-2016, 08:56 AM
I've used Devcon as well as the BedRock bedding kit made by Wheeler. Both do the job just fine, but I prefer the Bedrock kit because it comes with dye, release agent, and everything else you could possibly need to make the job super easy and painless. They work the same, I just prefer the latter.

Vanilla Gorilla
02-18-2016, 12:28 AM
Just did my savage build with Marine-Tex and it worked great.

JW
02-18-2016, 07:27 AM
Amazon
10110 steel putty
Jack

GaCop
02-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Devcon and all the other brands mentioned will do a great bedding job. For release agent, I use neutral Kiwi polish, I'll never run out of release agent with all that comes in the can.

johned
05-10-2016, 05:56 PM
KIWI Neutral Shoe Polis (release agent)

The vid I saw had the guy brush on the KIWI with a small paint brush and let that stand for 30 min to get the wax completely dry/hardened. Then, he buffed the wax away with a rag. The glass bedding lets go perfectly and there is no gap between the glass and metal as there is with that commercial release agent that is like thin paint.

WARNING: I found a way to screw this up: To accelerate this, I put the bedded stock with the fresh glass in an oven and set the temp for 180 degrees F. done it many times and even soaking it in hot water works if the surface texture of the glass doesn't matter. Hardened and cured that Devcon 10110 in about 30 minutes in that oven. GREAT! Said I. Well the heat also allowed the glass to stick to the metal but being on a synthetic stock the 10110 separated from that due to dissimilar expansion rates....I guess. But thank GOD for that anomaly. Lots of work getting the glass off of the action.

johned
05-10-2016, 07:00 PM
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=8695&nobot_crawl

This epoxy is a marine product. It is designed to work with ABS and other plastics. One of the treatments for prep is to heat the surface with a torch flame very briefly and that carbonizes the surface and then wipe the plastic with alcohol. Incredible strong bond. 24 hour cure. Not cheap but i would pay a lot to not go through what I am now enduring. Devcon has failed to stick to the syn stock that seems to be made from ABS.

To be clear: I have used Devcon since 1969 when a product named "Devcon X" was made available to USAF personnel. It was to be used to repair "STEAM PIPE LEAKS". Ever since it has been my Go-To epoxy and i was delighted to see it a favorite of gunsmiths and shooters. I just couldn't get it to stick to ABS.

John

A note: You must apply the epoxy to the plastic that has been torc hed/carbonized within one hour or you have to do it again. They said.

johned
05-21-2016, 10:38 PM
That Jamestown epoxy didn't work for bedding. It is pliable even when hard and it will split if impacted. Flew off fo the stock when struck.

I still need a epoxy that will work with plastic stock.

Winnie,

I will try the Devcon again with the torching and acetone maneuver.

Thanks

johned
05-22-2016, 11:42 AM
Well, sanding with 220, washing with acetone and then waving a torch flame across the plastic surface did the trick. The Devcon now forms a unbreakable bond...as it should and always has. The JB smear also is good. I was getting scared that that plastic was some sort of foreign exotica.