PDA

View Full Version : Getting correct length of pull?

Kadams1563
02-16-2016, 05:18 PM
I am having trouble getting my length of pull set up on my XLR Element chassis. Problem is I have no idea where it's supposed to be. This is my first bolt action so I do not know what's supposed to feel correct. If that makes any sense. Is there a measuring technique to use or a magical number I'm supposed to know?

short round
02-16-2016, 06:35 PM
You can get close by, measuring from inside of elbow to trigger finger bent like on trigger. Adjust to where you are comfortable.

Kadams1563
02-16-2016, 06:40 PM
I will measure again and see what I come up with. That's the way I set it before but I think it's too long and I need to shorten. Having a hard time getting my eye relief set up.

LongRange
02-16-2016, 06:59 PM
try setting your cheek rest first and get it set where you can see clearly through your scope then adjust your length of pull...do all of this with your scope set to the highest power...when you set your length of pull your cheek should ideally be in the center of the cheek rest with a clear view at max power and the butt should be snug in your shoulder in a relaxed prone position...if the length of pull is to short your going to want to roll your shoulder forward and if to long your going to be craning your neck to see in the scope and both cause problems...the other thing is you may need to cant your cheek rest over to one side a little...once set up you should be able to mount your rifle set your cheek open your eyes and be in looking through the scope or VERY close...make one adjustment at a time and then fine tune it.

LoneWolf
02-16-2016, 07:16 PM
Spend a lot of time dry firing. If you can't stay in prone for an extended period then make adjustments until you can or use the position you will be using most. I had to make some modifications to mine to be comfortable at my 15" LOP, but I'm 6'5".

I also ended up switching out the buttpad to a larger Kick-EEZ pad.

Literally just play with it till it's comfortable.

Kadams1563
02-16-2016, 07:20 PM
I'm exactly 6' so I have mine at 14" but I think that is too long. I have to struggle get good eye relief at 24x.

LoneWolf
02-16-2016, 07:24 PM
I put my scope at 50% power, so I can move slight fwd or slight back when setting I relief. Remember you can move your scope as well. I set LOP without consideration to the scope. Once comfortable, I set the scope up and adjust the cheek riser if need be. I did a lot of minor tweaking over the course of the first couple months until I had the chassis just right. It may feel great dry firing and an outing to the range may require further adjustment.

BillPa
02-16-2016, 09:14 PM
I'm exactly 6' so I have mine at 14" but I think that is too long. I have to struggle get good eye relief at 24x.

When I set a scope up for someone I have them close their eyes, bring the rifle up into position then open their eye(s). If they have to hunt back and forth to get the full field of view then I'll move the scope one way or the other until they can. After establishing the eye relief I'll mark it's position with a pencil then finish the job, leveling and etc.

Sometimes the scope's mounting length is too short between the rings to get the eye relief. In that instance other mounts-rings are the only answer.

Bill

LongRange
02-16-2016, 09:57 PM
It may feel great dry firing and an outing to the range may require further adjustment.

this right here...I've had my XLR for about 6 months and have been fine tuning it pretty much the whole time and got it just right last weekend.

FW Conch
02-17-2016, 01:50 AM
All above is good advise. Also, some low end scopes (price), are hard to find the sight picture with. If Your shooting a heavy recoiling rifle, You may want the LOP as long as You can accomadate, forcing You to stretch into the scope. Otherwise You can get bit by "scope eye". No heavy recoiling rifle should have less than 3 3/4" eye relief.

Don't ask me how I know this stuff :-)