PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 12 stock question

1coolcat
02-16-2016, 03:19 PM
Hello guys,
This is my first post on savage shooter forum.
I am in the process of purchasing a left-hand savage model 12 from internet sales.
I would like to get a laminate target / varmint stock, then sent it to CDI and have it milled for a DBM. I just can't find what I'm looking for..who makes a lefty stock

foxx
02-16-2016, 04:19 PM
Boyds Gun Stocks does.

1coolcat
02-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Foxx, Thank you sir. I have checked out there stocks, and I see quite a few savage shooters like them. This makes me think there nice stocks? (Input any one?), also will a stock made for a savage model 110 fit a model 12 also , or are the holes for the action screws in a different location?
Thanks guys

short round
02-16-2016, 07:04 PM
110 is long action, 12 is short. won't work. Keep in mind, when choosing stock, is it a stagger feed or controlled feed. If magazine stays with action it is stagger feed, mag stays with stock it is center feed.

foxx
02-16-2016, 07:32 PM
Right. Model 10, 11, 12, 14,etc are all " short actions". Model 110, 1111 112, 114 etc. Are all long actions. As said above, you need to determine whether yours is short or long, stagger feed or center feed and whether it is top bolt release or bottom bolt release. Study the faq section here for a good understanding of these differences. Boyds makes stocks for all of these varieties.

1coolcat
02-17-2016, 01:47 PM
What I know is its a left handed model 12 ( short action) .17 fireball, in a choate ultimate sniper stock, with top bolt release, internal box magazine.. Maybe I'll keep the stock and just send it off to CDI for a DBM..will see when its in my hand..
Also thank you for the pointer about reading about the different savage models..I know all the Remington's , and rivers..now its time to learn about the savage..

foxx
02-17-2016, 02:37 PM
What you said might be the best approach for now, assuming you want/can spend the money on your DBM and bottom metal. The Boyds stocks are not better than Choate, although the one you have is a rather unique (might I say "weird" design?) Don't take offense to that, it's just not like anything Boyds offers and it might be better to see how you like what you have before taking off in a different direction. In fact, I would not recommend getting DBM for it until you confirm you like it well enough to keep it.

1coolcat
02-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Foxx, all good stuff... I get a picture in my head of what I want a rifle to look like and go from there.. The choate stock is odd looking yes.. The owner said he didn't like it at first but after shooting the rifle with it he loves it ..to me it looks like a boat anchor.. But I was told it's great on the 17 fireball..the stock is wide and heavy and keep the gun very stable when shooting.. And yes I will have to shoot it a bit and see if I like it before I dump money into parts and milling..
Ever since I starting shooting a .17 fireball ive wanted to own a magazine feed rifle in that caliber..

1coolcat
02-19-2016, 07:58 AM
Ok here is a new question..
As I said I want a DBM for the soon to be mine rifle..( I do not have it yet) ..
I am getting a left hand savage model 12 w/ top bolt release. I have no idea of the action screw spacing.
The rifle is in a choate ultimate sniper stock. The rifle and stock has a blind / internal magazine.
I talked with CDI and they will mill and inlet for there bottom metal. The only thing I don't like is the way it looks in the choate stock. It sits about 3/8" deep of being flush with the bottom of the stock..
I thought of using a PTG stealth bottom metal. I have one on a REM. 700 and love it..and was able to send it off for milling / inletting..it function perfectly..
Does any one have experience with CDI vs. PTG stealth bottom metal.. Seems like there is a lot of messing around getting the PTG to function properly..
Also does any one offer inletting ( who can get it right) with the PTG stealth bottom metal..
Thanks for any feed back

1coolcat
02-19-2016, 08:32 AM
Ok here is a new question..
As I said I want a DBM for the soon to be mine rifle..( I do not have it yet) ..
I am getting a left hand savage model 12 w/ top bolt release. I have no idea of the action screw spacing.
The rifle is in a choate ultimate sniper stock. The rifle and stock has a blind / internal magazine.
I talked with CDI and they will mill and inlet for there bottom metal. The only thing I don't like is the way it looks in the choate stock. It sits about 3/8" deep of being flush with the bottom of the stock..
I thought of using a PTG stealth bottom metal. I have one on a REM. 700 and love it..and was able to send it off for milling / inletting..it function perfectly..
Does any one have experience with CDI vs. PTG stealth bottom metal.. Seems like there is a lot of messing around getting the PTG to function properly..
Also does any one offer inletting ( who can get it right) with the PTG stealth bottom metal..
Thanks for any feed back