PDA

View Full Version : Bedding Question

thunderchief
07-03-2010, 01:42 PM
I searched and I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Quick question... I have a couple of laminate and solid walnut stocks that I am action and pillar bedding. Do I need to seal the wood first then bed or will the bedding act as a sealer. I have bedded stocks before but they have all been synthetics. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Harriershot
07-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't seal the wood. You want a porous and rough surface for the compound to adhere to.
When I bed an action I remove as much as a 1/4 inch of wood in most places, I also take a 1/8" drill bit and drill small 1/8" deep holes all through the bedding area to create grab holes.
Make sure you use Devcon 10110 steel epoxy putty and Kiwi neutral shoe polish for a realease agent. Do not use accraglass, that stuff is a joke. Make sure you put modeling clay in the grooves on the barrel nut and use masking tape where you don't want the epoxy to go in. I even put shoe polish on all tape surfaces for an easier release. Wait a full 24 hours for separation.
As far as bedding the lug I only put three layers on the bottom of the lug, that way there is no room for play on the sides and front and back.

Charlie

davemuzz
07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Yeah......what he said. ;D

thunderchief
07-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Thanks for the reply. I figured that was what I was supposed to do, just wanted to make sure. I have used the Acraglass Gel before and didn't have any problems, but I will be bedding some heavy calibers and thought I should go with the Devcon. You summed that one up for me. Devcon ordered. Thanks!