PDA

View Full Version : A17/A22 Series: A17 keyholing with Hornady ammo

NDshooter7
02-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Yesterday I tried to sight in a new A17 with Hornady 17 gr. V-Max ammo. Every round keyholed. I cleaned the rifle thoroughly and tried again today, with the same result. This time I took a Henry .17 HMR with and the ammo performed perfectly. Has anybody else had this problem?

I would try a different brand of ammo, but all I have right now is Hornady. When I cleaned the barrel, the rod was passed from breech to muzzle, so I am sure I did not wreck the crown.

Lonewulf
02-13-2016, 06:18 PM
I had that problem with my New savage Stainless HB B-Mag, I had to send it to savage and they made/sent me a new rifle, problem gone. probably a problem with the crown from the factory, try a different box but I bet you still have the same trouble :(

NDshooter7
02-14-2016, 08:48 PM
I tried 17 grain CCI ammo and it did not keyhole. I contacted Savage and will see what they say.

Lonewulf
02-15-2016, 09:48 AM
that is odd, hope it is ok for you and don't have to send it in, that will taker months :(

NDshooter7
03-08-2016, 07:46 PM
Savage had no answers, other than to try a different lot of Hornady ammo. This time there was no keyholing, even though I was using the same box of ammo as when the problem occurred. The only difference was the temperature. It was cold when the keyholing occurred, about 8 degrees F the first day and in the teens the next day. During the latest session it was in the low 50's. Any suggestions of why cold temps would create a problem?

Lorenzo
03-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Savage had no answers, other than to try a different lot of Hornady ammo. This time there was no keyholing, even though I was using the same box of ammo as when the problem occurred. The only difference was the temperature. It was cold when the keyholing occurred, about 8 degrees F the first day and in the teens the next day. During the latest session it was in the low 50's. Any suggestions of why cold temps would create a problem?

Weird stuff. I would say stop cleaning it for quite awhile. I was constantly cleaning my bolt savage 17 and wondered why is wasn't shooting very well, let it foul up with around 50-75 rounds and groups started to shrink. Same with my .22. They like to be fouled up.
I have only seen mine heyhole 20 gr Hornady once at around 200 yards and once with CCI vmax at a little over 400. The 400 yard shot didt surprise me as it was also super windy that day, both shots were soon after I bought the gun. Never had any key hole ever again in thousands of rounds.

I say try and foul up the bore but if its doing it that much I would seriously consider sending it back.

NDshooter7
03-21-2016, 09:45 PM
This past weekend I tried unsuccessfully to sight in at 100 yards with A17 ammo. Best 5 shot group was about 5 inches! The next day, with targets set at 50 yards the groups were 2 to 3 1/2 inches and the rounds were key holing again. Ditto with Hornady V-Max 17 grain. This was with a well fouled barrel. I give up. Am shipping it back to Savage.

bvil
04-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Sounds very similar to my MKII TR 22lr. The bore was damaged at the muzzle end from the factory. Sent it back to Savage and they installed a new barrel.

Lonewulf
04-07-2016, 10:25 PM
something is wrong with the crown I would believe

had the problem with my 17 WSM HB and would not hit a 4x4 piece of cardboard at 50' with out a 3 foot pattern and keyholeing
new one back from them is a tack driver and shoots 1/2 to 3/4 groups at 100 yards all day

paperkite
04-11-2016, 03:48 PM
Typically , key holing happens when there is not enough twist for the weight of the bullet. If you are shooting a known too light bullet the " moment" will be off the center of gravity . Try a lighter bullet or a heavier bullet and see if that makes a difference. Humidity and temp can enter into it as well. Is the keyhole very pronounced or just slight ? The crown, if damaged just a tiny bit , can " push " the bullets butt just enough to make it unstable by the time it hits the target.