PDA

View Full Version : Setting Back Barrel

TAB
07-02-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a stock 12BVSS in .223 Rem that I want to have rechambered - will remain a .223 Rem. The current chamber has a sloppy large neck with some fairly pronounced annular grooves and was chambered a bit off center from the bore. Discovered all this after inspecting fired brass and then checking the chamber with a borescope.

I'm thinking it may need 3/8" to 1/2" cut off. How much of the barrel can be cut off and still have a large enough diameter to cut new threads on the shank for the barrel nut?

Thanks,

TAB

sharpshooter
07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
It all depends on the diameter of your barrel. Some barrel are smaller at the thread zone than others. Typically on a factory barrel , the taper starts right at the breech and is a straight taper to the muzzle. With 1.055" or slightly less at the breech end, it usually ends up about 1.035" at the end of the threads, A half inch past that couold be 1.025" or smaller depending how much was polished off.
If the chamber is too far off center, it may not even clean up in a half an inch.

hailstone
07-03-2010, 07:20 PM
Sounds to me like a new barrel is the cheaper alternative in this case. By the time you recut the chamber after the barrel is shortened and recut the barrrel threads your at a dollar value where it becomes iffy. Iffy whether your measures will ultimately correct the problem. Since you can obtain take off barrels reasonable and new ones for little more doing a cut-off, re-chamber and re-threading is questionable. I personnaly believe there's more wrong with your barrel than what you've discovered to date.

1Shot
07-04-2010, 04:11 AM
...I set 1 back on a SS bbl. the lenght of the neck. Chamber was wobbly, but it just did clean up..Anything more & you'll run out of thread dia...

TAB
07-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I wanted some confirmation that it "might" work depending on actual barrel diameter and how much has to be cut off - or that the idea was loony to start with.

I won't have much invested in the cutting and rechambering and planned to get a custom reamer anyway, so I don't have much at risk for giving it a try. If it doesn't work, I'll just be getting a new barrel much sooner than I originally anticipated.

Will report back with results.

Thanks again,

TAB

kweeks10045
07-04-2010, 05:47 PM
I had my Model 16 in 223 set back and rechambered to 221 Firball. Still had enough room for a thicker SSS recoil lug.