PDA

View Full Version : Of Savage, Criterion, Remmage, Marlin X7, now Rem 783?

DannoBoone
02-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Poster on another board asked the question about changing the barrel on a
Rem 783, and who might do it. Never having seen one, I did a search and
see amazing similarities to my X7. A few years ago, I changed out its pencil
thin barrel for a Savage Criterion.....perfect fit.

Now I'm wondering if this guy can do the same with the Rem 783. Will
the Criterions made for Savage fit this rifle? I know they will if
Remington is using the same barrel and nut threads that Marlin did with
the X7. Has anyone tried doing this?

http://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-783/model-783-scoped

rovert
02-12-2016, 05:19 PM
It looks like the answer is almost:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?31687-Rem-783-and-Savage-barrel

darkker
02-13-2016, 12:14 AM
They do use the same, and the bolt heads and parts are the same. I've got replacement 783 parts in my X7 currently due to some POS Federal cases letting go.

scooterf79
02-14-2016, 02:30 PM
Im pretty sure Jim at NSS is offering barrels to fit the 783 now. Funny how "awful" the barrel nut is but there seems to be more and more companies producing rifles with that "awful" nut lol
Scooter

darkker
02-15-2016, 12:13 AM
Im pretty sure Jim at NSS is offering barrels to fit the 783 now. Funny how "awful" the barrel nut is but there seems to be more and more companies producing rifles with that "awful" nut lol
Scooter

Yes, for barrel & nut
Savage Small shank=Marlin X7=Remington 783. All the same.
I'm waiting for the Ruger explosion. The M77's, Ruger American, and RPR all have the same shank and thread spec. MZ5 just bought a nut from Pacific T&G, and has a RPR barrel with an evil nut, on one of his M77 Hawkeyes.

sixonetonoffun
02-15-2016, 12:57 AM
Sure are a lot of options for sub $500 rifles today. I see fluted bolts are even coming on some models in this range.

shoalwater
02-24-2016, 10:37 PM
I believe the 783 does have the same thread pattern as a Savage, but if I remember correctly the bolt face is like .010" deeper than a savage so your headspace will not be correct.

CriterionBarrels
02-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Yes, for barrel & nut
Savage Small shank=Marlin X7=Remington 783. All the same.
I'm waiting for the Ruger explosion. The M77's, Ruger American, and RPR all have the same shank and thread spec. MZ5 just bought a nut from Pacific T&G, and has a RPR barrel with an evil nut, on one of his M77 Hawkeyes.

We just started producing pre-fits for the Ruger Precision Rifle. If we start getting more feedback and interest in the other models (M77 & American) we'd be happy to start making those as well!

darkker
02-25-2016, 07:49 PM
I believe the 783 does have the same thread pattern as a Savage, but if I remember correctly the bolt face is like .010" deeper than a savage so your headspace will not be correct.

Well, maybe. Several years ago I was part of this discussion on the Marlin board. What it comes down to is PROPERLY checking headspace when assembling any firearm. I can't remember if I was the first one on that board or the second to throw a savage barrel in my X7. In any case, the other gent who was doing that the same time as I was claimed that you would get interference with the bolt fact thus breaking the extractor. He had a "fix" for this that wasn't.
The first problem with his explaination and pictures, is that the extractor is recessed in the head and CAN'T hit anything. The second thing was that his solution was to essentially cut the barrel shorter. I've pulled a few X7's apart, and every single one of them had a VERY slight interference fit with the bolt-face-to-barrel; Juuuuust enough to wipe the bluing off. Putting my savage barrels on the X7 never had an issue, and putting savage barrels on those X7's never showed me those "issues".

So whether real or not, the moral is know what you are doing, or more importanatly, MEASURE what you are doing. Currently my original X7 has a Shaw Savage pre-fit on it.

darkker
02-27-2016, 08:46 PM
We just started producing pre-fits for the Ruger Precision Rifle. If we start getting more feedback and interest in the other models (M77 & American) we'd be happy to start making those as well!

If you are making RPR barrels, you DO make barrels for the others; you just have a funny ridge at the muzzle end of the threads.
Same shank, same thread spec. The RPR just has a ridge because of the way the use a nut to mount the handguard.

darkker
02-27-2016, 08:48 PM
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j84/Darkker13/Ruger_zpsvqo48um4.jpeg

That's what we are calling a Reaper 77.:cool: