PDA

View Full Version : when closing bolt everythign locks up. please help

brokencilence
07-02-2010, 08:34 PM
so i got a savage 10precision carbine about a year ago. just finally got to take it out to the range to shoot a little and for some reason half the times i cycle the bolt when i start turning the bolt knob downward the firing pin goes about 1/8" forward, and the accutrigger will not even budge, it's solid. if i sit there and cycle the bolt about 1 out of every three times it locks up like this. i can see the firing pin go forward like this as soon as i start turning the knob downward when it's ok the pin stays flush. any opinions or advice is appreciated. thanks in advice.

Jamie
07-02-2010, 08:44 PM
I believe if you tighten up your accu-trigger this problem will go away. Sometimes things don' line up perfect and the action gets just enough pressure on it that this happens. A good bedding should help even out the pressure on the action as well.

pdog06
07-02-2010, 08:45 PM
take the action out of the stock add add some pull weight to the trigger. It is over adjusted to the lghter setting. Try like a 1/4 turn clockwise with the trigger tool till it quits doing it, but first verify that it also does it while out of the stock.

brokencilence
07-02-2010, 08:54 PM
i have not adjusted the trigger. it's as it came from the factory. this a common thing if it's set too light? thanks for the quick response.

pdog06
07-02-2010, 08:58 PM
yep. seems to fix it most of the time.

bodywerks
07-04-2010, 12:54 AM
When you pull the action take a look at the firing pin release lever(the sear) hinge pin to make sure it is in all the way. That is always what has caused that problem with mine. Its never been because the trigger is set too light. Heck, the Law Enforcement trigger goes a full pound lower or so than the A-trigger on your model and the problem is no more prevalent on it.
What happens if the hinge pin is not all the way in is in cants the sear to the point that it doesn't fully arm and therefore doesn't fully cock the bolt.
What you can do to prevent it in the future is to put something in the stock as a filler/spacer to hold that hinge pin in all the way, like hot glue, rtv, or best would be to fill the area with epoxy and use a dremel to inlet it more precisely.
Also, grease that hinge pin and the little v-groove on the trigger itself for a more crisp trigger.