PDA

View Full Version : Opening up the ejection port of long action?

HRstretch
09-21-2009, 02:29 PM
To take a standard long action and open up the port to allow for the extraction of a 375 H&H cartridge, how much of the port needs to be milled. Is this a difficult and expensive task? Is there a pressure issue with the small shank and larger calibers?

Since the magazine would need to be replaced, is there an aftermarket magazine that can be purchased also?

Case in point, finding an old 7 mag or 30-06 gun and making it into an STW, RUM, 375 H&H size action so as to be able to extract loaded ammo?

geargrinder
09-21-2009, 02:55 PM
None.

I can eject a loaded 338 Edge with a 3.850" OAL.

Getting it to feed as a repeater is a different story. That took a little work. But, I still used a 7mmMag box.

Milled the mag opening so that it would be flush with the bolt face when the bolt is resting on the bolt stop. Opened the front of the mag opening to be flush with the mag box of the stock.

For the magazine, I cut off both tabs. Slotted the front to let the bullets extend through. Welded a floor to the magazine. glued the whole assembly into the stock.

HRstretch
09-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Do you have any photos of the what the action and mag box look like? before and after would be great, after will do.

geargrinder
09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Do you have any photos of the what the action and mag box look like? before and after would be great, after will do.

Here you go. It's not rocket surgery. ;D

Actually, all I'm doing to the action is matching what Savage is doing for the mag port on the new centerfeed actions.

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,25118.msg181788.html#msg181788

HRstretch
09-22-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks,

I have to get my STW and my 110E 7mag action out and compare them to you photos. If I can get one in the mag and one in the chamber I will be happy. If I need more than two shots I need to get to the range more and I think I could single load from the second shot pretty quick.

J.Baker
09-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Savage has a magazine box for the 375H&H sized cases.