PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Tactical

Farflung
02-11-2016, 04:17 PM
First time poster here. I have a Savage Tactical 110, 30-06, +/- 24 inch Heavy Barrel (although I would guess they are all heavy barreled), factory synthetic stock, Harris Bipod, with a Tasco 2.5 to 10X. I bought it used about 15 years ago. I do not reload. My Questions: 1) Does anyone know the rate of twist on this barrel. 2) Does anyone have experience with this gun in terms of what 150 to 168 grain factory ammo would give the best accuracy. 3) Any other tips to tighten the groups w/o major modifications.

aguila9
02-12-2016, 10:55 AM
Im assuming its a pre accu trigger model? I have a 110 FP in .308 from 1991 which is similar in all other respects with the 30-06 chambering if I remember correctly.

The rifling should be 1 in 10. I found that my rifle preferred 168 to 175 grain match loads. I handload and have stuck with that same bullet construction for my own loads.

I found that a torque wrench comes in handy with this rifle. Remove the stock and make sure the bedding pillars are still in the stock and the barrel channel is clear then reinstall and tighten and torque to ( I'm not going to supply a ftlb amount. Hand tighten to snug then see what Torque setting its approximately at and go 5 ftlbs over. If you don't have a torque wrench then just don't over tighten. A quarter turn past hand tight). Some more research can get you a range of torque values.

Then get some good copper remover and get at that bore. Consider a JB bore paste and kroil mixture to really get the bore clean. I found my barrel really holds on to copper. My patches would never stop coming out blue when using ammonia based copper removers until I used the JB/ Kroil treatment first. That really took mybore down to steel.

Now as you start shooting make sure your scope is mechanically sound and your mounts and rings are tight. A good strip down, degreasing and remounting won't hurt if your up to that. (Blue loctite or nail polish comes in handy here).

If all is on point the rifle should give you at least 1.5 to 2.0 moa factory stock.. Some of these rifles are great shooters. Mine gave me 1.0 moa after a stock change and a rifle basix trigger install. From your description your weakest link is your scope. GOOD LUCK

Farflung
02-12-2016, 11:25 PM
thxs for the reply. I have done the proper mounting of the scope with blue loctite. I've got the JB paste and kroil and intend to decopper the bore. I'm getting about 1.5 moa right now, but hoping for some thoughts on how to tighten up the groups. thxs for the ideas on the torqueing the barrel nut. I guess I will get some factory match loads to see if they help. Anyone out there have any other ideas on factory loads that would be appropriate for Mule deer and whitetails?

aguila9
02-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Defenitely try different brands of ammo. I found that Hornady Match with a 168 gr A-Max pill shot the best but my department supplies me with the federal GM match rounds.

Do you have a factory stock on the rifle. I had bought a Brownells stock with an aluminum bedding block in the stock about 10 years ago. Then bedded it at the lug. The factory stock was just to flexible in the forend and made contact with the barrel under tension when I slung up.

Farflung
02-13-2016, 09:16 AM
aguila9- very good suggestions. Have considered a replacement stock, also thought of shedding the Harris Bi-pod to give that a try. Was going to start accurizing the rifle in March-April. But the reason that this came up for me, is that I am going to a gun shop this a.m. that is likely to have a much better supply/selection of ammo than anywhere near where I live.

Benmuncie
04-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Glad to say I just bought an old 110 tactical in 25-06. I used a friend's hand loads today and I cannot believe how good this rifle shoots and it's completely factory. Farflung, this might be a help for you too. Maybe some guys close to you know someone that could load a few boxes for you and see if that helps any. We also have a local gun/pawn shop and the owner can always find someone that does whatever we need. Would any of your shop owners be able to connect you to a hand loader. I'm somewhat new to reloading, but I've learned that the same rifle shoots quite different with factory and hand loads.

Texas10
04-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Here's an article on Torque tuning the action screws (not barrel nut). This helps considerably with shrinking groups.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

This article is mostly about the 3 screw target action, but also mentions the 2 screw action tuning. Works the same. I thought I had mine about the best I could get but then went back and added another 5 inch pounds to the front screw and that made a huge improvement.

If you don't have an inch-pound torque wrench, you can pick one up for about twenty bucks from Harbor Freight tools here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-61277.html

Have fun, and good luck!