PDA

View Full Version : First round from mag wont load.

doctnj
02-10-2016, 10:43 PM
This is my custom 260 that has never had off the shelf box ammo fired through it. It started its shooting career as a single feeder so length was not as important as it is when im trying to get the mag to feed. I have kept having to shorten and shorten. I have them down CBTO of 1.190 using the 5-26 comparator . Now when I load I think its called an AICS, mag that normally holds 10 rounds with only 5 the first round wont feed. The solution is to run my finger back from the front. After the first on strips off all the rest feed fine. If I only load one and hit the clip in with malice, then it will pull that first cartridge into the barrel no problem. But any combination of 2,3,4,5 etc. 80% of the time or more that first cartridge gets stuck. Now if i push down and back on the back end of the cartridge then it pops the front up and it loads no problem. Does this sound like a mag issue?, follower hang up?. I tried a 308 5 round mag pul aics mag and they wouldnt feed at all, no way.

Hope this makes sense.

Russmerle
02-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Had similar issue with 300WM AICS style magazines from MDT. The MDT mag's were causing hang ups because the tab on back of mag that catches mag release/catch was off a bit... Issue with the mag itself. I bought an Accuracy International mag and now don't have the issue. The MDT mag had significantly more wobble inside the mag well and would shift front to back and slide up and down inside the mag well. The new mag from AICS fixed the issue.

But your problem seems to be he same but now with an AICS manufactured mag...

Robinhood
02-11-2016, 12:24 AM
CBTO of 1.190 This is scary.

Weak spring or feed lips?

doctnj
02-11-2016, 08:11 AM
Lol 2.190. You know what I mean!!

Any way. It's a metal mag. Honestly I don't know what brand it is. I was thinking follower issue, i.e getting in bind and not lining up the first round properly, or tangs bent too tight to allow it to pop up freely. But it wasn't out of the question that maybe the gun had a feed ramp issue.

When I shove on the bolt handle and it doesn't feed, it dents the bullet 2 or 3 mm back from the tip. Initially I had a length binding issue so I didn't notice this problem until I had the cartridge short enough (apparently just over an inch long lol), so that I knew it cleared before this problem showed up.

Is there a problem if I pry the leading edge of the feed lips open a bit to see if that solves the problem?

The thing that also made me think gun issue is the mag pull mags won't feed at all and they are all plastic so they are out of the picture. This is going to be my prs gun so I need reliable feeds!

doctnj
02-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Are the actual accuracy international mags marked?

doctnj
02-11-2016, 08:17 PM
I just looked. Both my metal mags are AI mags. I took the one out of my creedmoor and same result. I looked down inside the action and saw where it was catching. The top bullet is getting stuck under the feed ramp. It looks a little long. If I pull the bullet back out from underneath it loads fine as do the rest of the mag. Its just that first one that gets stuck under there during the loading of the mag. If I shorten the bullet to fit more easily they would be way too short. It clears, just barely when I pull it back after the mag is in and I am in the neighborhood of 30k off the lands already. Under pressure this is going to continue to happen. I can easily load and wipe the bullet back but I would not like to have to. Should I have a smith shorten the ramp?

doctnj
02-11-2016, 10:30 PM
The problem for intent and purposes is fixed at least mostly. I did slightly bend the feed lips out at the front and the bullet for the most part popped right by the feed ramp. It stuck once out of ten times and passed with some friction a few times. I didnt spend a lot of time with it but I think that will do it. Just needs a little more and its good.

Its funny, I was sure it was going to require the expertise of a smith to shorten the ramp etc. What in the world did I do before internet? I tell you what I did and thats pay a lot of people for things I could have done myself.

Thanks LongRange as well as others for your help on all my dumb question threads.

edit. The plastic mag pul mags are just plain not going to work since I cant bend them. Has anyone tried taking a dremmel to them to open the feed lips? Otherwise I have two for sale.

Robinhood
02-12-2016, 08:08 AM
Thanks LongRange as well as others for your help on all my dumb question threads.
I miss LongRange's long explanatory post. I dig the enthusiasm he has to help folks out. Whatever drove you underground son, overlook that stuff and bring it back out for all the argumentative types to attempt to refute. They are just jealous bro!

Russmerle
02-12-2016, 08:41 AM
The AI mags are sold for specific lengths I think right? Maybe with your shorty bullet it is just something you have to try to work around.... Hopefully you get her to 10/10 on feeding!

LongRange
02-12-2016, 09:31 AM
I miss LongRange's long explanatory post. I dig the enthusiasm he has to help folks out. Whatever drove you underground son, overlook that stuff and bring it back out for all the argumentative types to attempt to refute. They are just jealous bro!

work mostly...pulling 12s right now...we are about 3 months behind on all of our projects and NO END in site...also gearing up for comp season...i spent about 12 hours the last couple of weekends getting somethings ironed out on my comp rifle and still have a few more things that need to be tuned before next saturday.

LongRange
02-12-2016, 09:33 AM
Doc id skip the plastic mags in your PRS rifle your just asking for problems with them.

MDTcorp
02-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Had similar issue with 300WM AICS style magazines from MDT. The MDT mag's were causing hang ups because the tab on back of mag that catches mag release/catch was off a bit... Issue with the mag itself. I bought an Accuracy International mag and now don't have the issue. The MDT mag had significantly more wobble inside the mag well and would shift front to back and slide up and down inside the mag well. The new mag from AICS fixed the issue.

But your problem seems to be he same but now with an AICS manufactured mag...
You should contact us for a replacement. We guarantee quality, and you should not have this issue.