PDA

View Full Version : Bvss-s

pyscodog
02-09-2016, 12:17 PM
Hello, I'm not new to the forum, just read more than post. I'm also not a rookie to Savage rifles but I guess I'm new to this model. I picked up a used BVSS-S at a local gun show and am getting an education on it real quick. I wasn't sure what I had at first because it is a single shot action. I looked up the serial number on the Savage site and it pulled up a totally different "looking" rifle than mine. It show it to have sights on the barrel and was also a repeater. Mine is a blued action and most definitely a single shot. But is has a stainless fluted heavy barrel. After some help on another forum, we have decided its a BVSS-S varminter, and most likely had a barrel swap. My first thoughts was that I had a model j series rifle as I thought the only single shot actions were the newer target actions, and the j series. After talking with Savage, I found out differently. I went to purchase a Leupold, one piece scope base and found the ones for a short action were to short and the base for a long action won't work either. Its got the flat back receiver and locally was not very much available. I ended up ordering a two piece from Mid-way. Don't really know where I'm going with all this other than to prime you folks with a tin of questions at a later date. I'm sure I'll have plenty. I may replace the trigger as it doesn't have an accu-trigger and it has been modified already. Its a decent trigger and it seems safe but needs some help. It also doesn't look like a factory Savage trigger but I'm not sure what the trigger in this rifle looks like. Thanks in advance!

pyscodog
02-09-2016, 12:34 PM
I did some more searching and found out what trigger is in this rifle. Its a SSS competition trigger. No wonder it look strange to me. It just keeps getting better!!

pbmax84
02-09-2016, 07:10 PM
I have a long BVSS-S long action that I've had a couple years. It came as a .300 Win. Magnum and was more accurate than me. It has a rifle basix trigger set at 24 oz. and the factory stock, skim bedded with an adjustable cheekpiece. I have a .243 barrel on the way to replace the .300, because of recoil and economy, but am keeping the .300 in case I can't make the .243 shoot. That's a really nice, stiff action you have, and if you haven't already I would add a nice, heavy, one pjece base to stiffen it even more. Hope you enjoy it!

pbmax84
02-09-2016, 07:14 PM
What caliber do you have?

Nor Cal Mikie
02-09-2016, 09:39 PM
You're on the right track by going with a two piece base set, for now. After looking and trying numerous bases for a long time and not finding exactly what I wanted, what I did was take two one piece bases, (with the rear windage adjustment) shipped them off to one of the builders, had him cut the two bases apart, put one front piece that matched the screw holes and one rear piece that also matched the holes, welded them together to make a "one piece base" that matched all the screw holes like they should have from the beginning. Looks like it was factory made!! Sometimes you just have to go a little further than normal to get what what you're after.

pyscodog
02-10-2016, 12:12 AM
pbmax84- Its a 22-250.The reason for the scope base ordeal is my scope is a 6x24 B&L and with the mounts that were on it, I ran out of windage. Its has 1/8 clicks and they go fast. with the Leupold mount, I can get most of my adjustment from the base and fine tune with the scope adjustment. It came with Kelby rings and you could throw a cat between the scope and the barrel. As much as I would have like to use them, it just wasn't working.

750k2
02-10-2016, 06:51 AM
I just got a single shot flat back in a trade and it took EGW base fine?
F prefix pre accu
Came as a 22-250 I believe.
Burris sigs have inserts that work great at centering optics.

pyscodog
02-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Another question?? Is this a large shank or small shank action? I'm assuming its the small shank as the barrel nut measures 7/8. I read the large shank nut is 5/8.

pbmax84
02-11-2016, 07:01 AM
It is a small shank.

ssv1761982
02-11-2016, 01:18 PM
I've got an old 112FV in 220 Swift that is single shot. The single shots are vastly out numbered by the repeaters.

cwop
02-11-2016, 05:48 PM
Take the bolt out and use a flashlight to look down towards the barrel you will find out a lot of information right there as for some reason the custom barrel makers don't mark their barrels I guess its because they have no idea how their barrel will fit on the action.