PDA

View Full Version : Do all savages have the barrel nut?

Doc25
02-09-2016, 11:42 AM
Hi guys. I realize some models like the rimfire ones and the 25's don't have the barrel nut. I'm wondering about older 10's/110's. When savage started manufacturing their rifles were they using the barrel nut from the beginning?

rovert
02-09-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. The 340's had barrel nuts and they predated the 110's.

Doc25
02-09-2016, 12:19 PM
I guess the other question I should ask is are older savage actions worth building on as well? I seem to recall the older ones are round and the newer ones are "square". Different bases etc.

Do they use the same bolt heads?

rovert
02-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Someone more qualified will have to confirm this but I believe all of the bolt heads are the same but are long/short action and left/right hand specific. I also believe it is the older models that have the squared off rear bridge while the newer models are round/round. Didn't the full round receiver come at the same time as the Accutrigger?

adammiddagh
02-09-2016, 12:35 PM
There is an older 110 that had a recessed chamber, and the bolt head protruded into it. There was a post about it not that long ago.

I believe that could be upgraded to current style with a barrel and bolt assembly.

LHitchcox
02-09-2016, 07:57 PM
The first generation 110s had the different bolt head and recessed chamber along with a different trigger and a boss under the rear sight. I have a first generation that a previous owner rebarreled without a nut. They were made from 1958 to about 1963. The early 110s came as long or short actions. Then as a cost savings Savage put everything on a long action and used spacers for short action cartridges.