PDA

View Full Version : rocktite stock vs boyds

ohihunter2014
02-08-2016, 08:51 PM
looking to do an upgrade on my axis 2 hb and axis 1. hows the rocktite deal in stiffening the stock? I want to use a sitting bipod on both guns but they move a lot.

whats your thoughts? rocktite or boyds and why?

Metz_K
02-09-2016, 12:20 PM
I didn't do the rocktite method and went straight to a Boyds.
Rocktite will be cheaper
Boyds will give you different stock shapes and be inherently stiffer.

ohihunter2014
02-09-2016, 01:08 PM
I didn't do the rocktite method and went straight to a Boyds.
Rocktite will be cheaper
Boyds will give you different stock shapes and be inherently stiffer.

how much extra weight? what stock do you have?

triehl27
02-09-2016, 01:16 PM
I went the opposite of Metz. I ordered a Boyds, customed it out till it was $300+ with everything I wanted. When it got here I tried it out, and it just didn't do it for me.

My set up is a HB 308 with a EGW rail, EGW Matched steel rings, and a Vortex Viper 6.5-24X50 scope. The Scope setup alone adds a good 2lbs+ to the rifle.

I rockited my OEM stock prior to ordering the Boyds as a fill in til it arrived. In the end, I went back to the Rockited OEM stock.

One of my biggest complaints was the weight of the Boyds. The HB is surprisingly quick and easy to handle in the field. But the Boyds added significantly to the weight over the OEM stock. And although it certainly looked better then the OEM, it was more of a bench style gun then a field rifle after the stock change for me due to the weight and the Pro Varmint stock style.

The Rockite make the stock plenty stiff, it added about 8oz to the stock. There simply is no flex in the forend now. A light bedding around the recoil lug finished it off for me. It's sub moa out to 600 yds we have confirmed. 6"plates at 603yds.

Metz_K
02-09-2016, 08:54 PM
how much extra weight? what stock do you have?

How much extra weight I don't have a number as I also added a heavier barrel at the same time. I went with the Pro Varmit as I have no intentions of hunting with this rifle, its strictly for long range target shooting. It is not something I would want to lug around or shoot from the standing though now

I will say though that the recoil was reduced significantly. Before that with .308 it left my shoulder sore after a day of shooting.

If you look on Boyds websites they list approximate weight of 2.8lbs for most of their stocks except the featherweight designs.

ottawacats
02-26-2016, 12:24 PM
I put a Boyds thumbhole on my Axis .243, with a Vortex viper on top it weight close to 10.5 - 11 lbs. I purchased a model 11 within the last month and its so much nicer to lug around while coyote hunting. The boyds stock is nice for sure made the Axis a completely different gun but it was heavy, I would do the rockite first and see how you like it.

triehl27
02-26-2016, 01:51 PM
@Ottawacats

+100 agreed. I still have my fully decked out Zombie green Varmint pro stock for my Axis. I am currently working on my Mod 10 Mountain gun trying to cut a couple pounds of it this weekend, going from a 6x24 Vortex Viper to the Leupold Scope.

Vortex is the clearer scope, but at 25.8 oz for the Scope and almost another 12 for the tactical moutn thats 36zo in scope and mount alone.

On a 16" Mod 10 with a polystock thats ridiculous, The leupold is 11.6oz and the rings are less then 6oz. That's a significant weight loss for packing around.

After that is done, I may reevaluate putting the boyds stock back on, since then I will ahve a pack around rifle also

gemby58
03-07-2016, 10:25 PM
Does the Boyd stock come with the front gaurd screw plate to hold the mag in or how is the mag held in.

foxx
03-08-2016, 12:55 AM
boyds stock for the Axis has a different trigger guard design. More traditional. It is inletted for the dbm and has a hard synthetic / plastic "lip" embedded into the stock that the magazine snap clips to just like the factory stock.