PDA

View Full Version : help converting a savage .223 to 6.5CM

idek
02-08-2016, 12:39 AM
I have a Savage 11 (blind magazine) in .223. I've previously added a Boyd's stock, and Timney Trigger, and a larger bolt handle, but as far as actually converting from one cartridge to another, I've never done anything like that and don't really know where to start.

I'm thinking I might want to modify it to shoot 6.5CM. Is that possible? If so, what specific parts need changing?

Thanks for any help

scooterf79
02-08-2016, 07:01 AM
You will need a bolt head and a barrel. Seems theres a bit of chatter about bolt heads being a little bit difficult to find at the moment tho.
You will need the proper tools to change the barrel out. An action wrench and a barrel nut wrench are the most common. I bought mine from Jim at NSS(one of our sponsors) Great to deal with and he also sells barrels as well. Since you will already have it apart might as well change the barrel nut and recoil lug as well.

You're rifle is most likely a small shank so you would need a small shank barrel.

Your mag box may or may not work, so depending on how you want to use the gun(either as a single shot or a repeater). Thats no big deal to change either if you need to.

Hope this helps! Keep us posted on what you decide or if you have any more questions.
Scooter

acemisser
02-08-2016, 08:50 AM
what he said..308,243,etc bolt face..And barrel is about all you will need...

Swissfan
02-09-2016, 09:40 AM
You'll also need headspace gauges.

rovert
02-09-2016, 11:25 AM
You will need a bolt head and a barrel. Seems theres a bit of chatter about bolt heads being a little bit difficult to find at the moment tho.

I was recently looking for one and didn't turn up any factory heads (SA, .473"). I found some PTG's listed as in stock. I think the best price was about $55. I ended up buying an action instead and leaving my .223 alone. It would have been a shame to take it apart anyway.

scooterf79
02-09-2016, 07:58 PM
Its just gonna be that much easier now! 👍 What did you buy?Just need a barrel now! Lol. Keep us posted.
Scooter

rovert
02-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Its just gonna be that much easier now!  What did you buy?Just need a barrel now! Lol. Keep us posted.
Scooter

I'm not the OP and don't want to hijack but I got an 11 THXP. I didn't have a lot of options as I wanted a left hand action. Mines getting a .260 Rem X-caliber barrel which might be here tomorrow.

scooterf79
02-10-2016, 12:52 AM
Oops my bad....I wasnt paying attention when I posted that. Sounds like youve gotta good one in the works!
Scooter