PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to rebar real 2 savages

Pages : [1] 2

acj7382
02-07-2016, 01:38 PM
I've got a Savage Hog Hunter and want a 22 inch barrel with 5 r Rifling in 308. Same barrel contour. Have an older model 16 weather warrior in 300 wsm and want to convert it to a 300 win mag long action. Looking for a good barrel maker for the first in 308 that doesn't cost arm and leg and wondering if it's possible to change the short mag to a standard and what it would require as far as magazine and bolt.

Hotolds442
02-08-2016, 02:11 AM
The model 16 Weather Warrior is a short action. You will not be able to convert it to a long action. You may, however, mount a 300 WinMag barrel on it and shoot it as a single shot, but you might have to remove the bolt to eject unfired rounds. The majority of the WSM's were built on large shank actions, so you'd need to get a large shank barrel made to fit. The demand for the action you have is rather high, parting the rifle out and starting new would be better than what you're trying to accomplish. The gain you'd get going from the WSM to the WinMag is negligible unless you intend to push bullets over 200 grains. Why not just try to trade the WSM off for what you want?

acj7382
02-11-2016, 08:36 PM
I kept the 300 wsm and bought a 300 win mag. Now to find a semi bull barrel for the hog Hunter in 308. 5 r rifling if possible. Savage info is confusing. I'm going back to Remington's.

Robinhood
02-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Yep Remington has an action stretcher to turn short actions into long actions. Savage got nothing like that. I'm out.

FW Conch
02-12-2016, 08:14 AM
;-))

Russmerle
02-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Yep Remington has an action stretcher to turn short actions into long actions. Savage got nothing like that. I'm out.
Delayed in ATL and that just made my day lol

acj7382
02-13-2016, 02:14 PM
Is asked a question because someone had posts all actions were the same in a savage. Came from this site not me. I didn't intend to stretch a Remington. Just going to buy what I want chambered the way I want. I'm referring to the savage 11 hog Hunter changing to a long barrel. I bought another Savage in 300 win mag min a bull barrel and good bedded HS precision and couldn't be happier. Just keeping the 300 wsm for hunting. I do want the Rem p 24 in 308 if I can't change the model 11 around cheaper. Smart ass in every crowd.

FW Conch
02-13-2016, 05:31 PM
What you may have read was someone talking about the Savage Axis, the bargain model of the Savage center fire line. In that model, both long and short chamberings are built on the long action, the only one offered.

Hey, what do you expect from the Savage site when you suggest that a remington is better in any way? :-)

acj7382
02-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Not suggesting it's better. Just have had a lot of work done on the Remington's. I have 3 Savages and 7 Remington's a Tikka and 2 Sakos. The Savages have been just as good and in some cases for 1/2 the money better. I just know Remington's because I've had them for years. Just bought my Savages last year and one two days ago so I'm not going to bash the rifles that shoot as good as they do. Just bashing the one that thinks asking a question is dumb I guess but that's why I joined this forum was to learn. All is good. Everyone has an off day. That would put me first in that category.

Russmerle
02-14-2016, 01:41 PM
Not suggesting it's better. Just have had a lot of work done on the Remington's. I have 3 Savages and 7 Remington's a Tikka and 2 Sakos. The Savages have been just as good and in some cases for 1/2 the money better. I just know Remington's because I've had them for years. Just bought my Savages last year and one two days ago so I'm not going to bash the rifles that shoot as good as they do. Just bashing the one that thinks asking a question is dumb I guess but that's why I joined this forum was to learn. All is good. Everyone has an off day. That would put me first in that category.

People may bust your balls from time to time but i haven't ran into outright spite here... Everybody is happy to help

acj7382
02-14-2016, 04:35 PM
It's been a really good site. I've learned a lot but I'm far from a gunsmith. Lot of good people I've met on here.

gpsman007
02-14-2016, 06:37 PM
What do yo want for your savages:). Look up black hole weaponary. You can get a great shooter for 300 bucks
I kept the 300 wsm and bought a 300 win mag. Now to find a semi bull barrel for the hog Hunter in 308. 5 r rifling if possible. Savage info is confusing. I'm going back to Remington's.

acj7382
02-14-2016, 07:53 PM
The 300 win mag is my bench rifle now. The 300 wsm I'm going to hunt with. I'm trying to find a longer barrel for the 11 hog Hunter in 308' if I buy the pm20 the hog Hunter will be for sale.

m12lrs
02-16-2016, 08:13 PM
The 300 win mag is my bench rifle now. The 300 wsm I'm going to hunt with. I'm trying to find a longer barrel for the 11 hog Hunter in 308' if I buy the pm20 the hog Hunter will be for sale.

One choice. If you don't see what you want then just tell them and they will make it for you. That is what I did.

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

If this is what you like and they don't have it in stock this place keeps a good supply.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

Now these guys carry the brux cut rifling barrels

http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

acj7382
02-16-2016, 09:13 PM
Sorry to ask but what is a brux cut

foxx
02-16-2016, 09:51 PM
Jim from Apache Gun Works makes great barrels, too. He got his start building less expensive barrels from less expensive blanks. He wanted to build dang good shooting hunting barrels that the average shooter could afford and found out they shoot better than most shooters can shoot. He also builds off of higher end blanks, but it's a matter of what your intentions are. Competion barrel that will clean with one or two swipes of a damp patch or a hunting barrel that takes as much effort to clean as a factory hunting barrel but more accurate and customized to your wants...

dfrosch
02-16-2016, 10:02 PM

Brux is a brand. They make barrels.

Cut rifling is a manufacturing method. They start with a cylinder bore and cut, or really shave the rifling a little at a time. The alternative is button rifling. Button rifling is generally cheaper. Cut rifling puts less stress in a barrel. Both can be accurate, but cut rifling is generally considered higher end.

pitsnipe
02-17-2016, 10:09 AM

No problem. Like you said, you are here to learn. Brux is the brand ( like Shilen) of barrel and the rifling is cut into the bore vs. a button pulled through using hydraulics to form the rifling. Another Chevy vs Ford discussion altogether on which one is better.

Snipe

pitsnipe
02-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Brux is a brand. They make barrels.

Cut rifling is a manufacturing method. They start with a cylinder bore and cut, or really shave the rifling a little at a time. The alternative is button rifling. Button rifling is generally cheaper. Cut rifling puts less stress in a barrel. Both can be accurate, but cut rifling is generally considered higher end.

Sorry,
Slow computer connection. Didn't see this response from yesterday..........Yes, like he says +1

Snipe

m12lrs
02-17-2016, 12:25 PM

http://www.bruxbarrels.com/gpage.html