PDA

View Full Version : Barrel shank question

newbie_nick
02-07-2016, 09:34 AM
I just received a drop-on barrel that I custom ordered for my Savage 110, obviously my first time doing this. I took off the old barrel, and when I put the barrel nut on the new barrel, it seemed to go on somewhat hard. It went on by hand, but just a little hard. When I went to add the recoil lug, it wouldn't go on. I tried gently threading on the action...no go.

I measured the thread diameter of the new barrel, and it was 1.064 or so. I measured the old barrel...1.055 or so.

At this point, I was thinking that I ordered the large shank rather than the small shank. Nope, my order stated small shank.

At this point, I was thinking that they mistakenly made the large shank for me. Nope...this is the confusing part. The vendor's website states 1 1/16" for small shank, and 1 1/8" for large shank. I have not contacted the vendor to ask them, so I would rather leave their name out until they have a chance to make things right.

To add to the confusion, I'm getting mixed information when I search online:
THIS LINK (http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes) suggests that there are 2 sizes: 1.055" and 1.120".
THESE (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/482505/shilen-barrel-savage-110-series-small-shank-260-remington-varmint-contour-1-in-8-twist-26-stainless-steel)barrels on Midway say small shank is 1.062" nominal diameter (1 1/16")

Now, I'm really confused. Can somebody help me, please?

gbflyer
02-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Remington is 1.062 and 16 threads per inch. Savage small shank is 1.055 and 20 threads per inch. I wonder if you were sent a "Remage" barrel by mistake? Can you post a pic?

Edit: just re-read. If your nut went on then you definitely didn't get a Remage with 16 threads. I suspect someone plugged the wrong numbers in and you ended up with the correct threads but an oversized tenon. Does seem odd that the nut would go on though. Must be a sloppy one.

Jamie
02-07-2016, 01:09 PM
While I have not have this issue I have seen others on here that have. The general consensus was that the tips of the threads were just a tad proud and a few spins by hand and some fine sand paper would knock the edge off. I would suggest waiting for someone who has done this to make sure I am correct through.

newbie_nick
02-07-2016, 01:22 PM
While I have not have this issue I have seen others on here that have. The general consensus was that the tips of the threads were just a tad proud and a few spins by hand and some fine sand paper would knock the edge off. I would suggest waiting for someone who has done this to make sure I am correct through.

That's a though. We're talking about a difference of around 0.008" to 0.010" or 0.004" to 0.005" per side. That sounds like a lot. Anybody else care to weigh in?

Cnsane
02-08-2016, 12:48 PM
I'll weigh in as a man who had the horrible experience of earning a living as a job shop machinist. You have a PM