PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Seize Type for Barrel Installation

Pages : 1 [2]

Russmerle
02-15-2016, 05:26 PM
Has anyone tried Loctite heavy duty anti-seize? Says that it is free from copper, lead, sulfur and their compounds. Says that it is outstanding with stainless steel. As soon as my headspace gauges come in i think i am going to be using this to install my new barrel.
Im not sure but it sounds safe for stainless. The action is probably steel so I think you just need to make sure you cover all the threads to keep moisture out...

Russmerle
02-15-2016, 05:30 PM
i just had a thought reading through this again(dangerous i know), what effect if any do these anti-seizes have on the actions?? i'm not sure what the actions are actually made of but is any of these corrosive to actions?

Bruce

Because its blued, I'm guessing my action is steel... In that case, from what I've read, none of the anti-seize lubricants listed should do much harm to regular steel. If it is carbon steel, however, the aluminum base would basically cease to exist and then allow corrosion to occur. Is there a possibility the actions are carbon steel?

AbitNutz
02-16-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm sooo glad I saw this. I was using a copper based anti-seize on my stainless barrels. I have since acquired and now use a nickel based product by Permatex that is designed for stainless steel. I got it off Amazon...

Thanks YOU!

Russmerle
03-03-2016, 01:14 AM
I'm sooo glad I saw this. I was using a copper based anti-seize on my stainless barrels. I have since acquired and now use a nickel based product by Permatex that is designed for stainless steel. I got it off Amazon...

Thanks YOU!

Glad I could help somebody! Lol i found the Permatex aluminum stuff in autozone... I also had to get the Nickel stuff from Amazon. They don't sell it ANYWHERE!

Bolthead
03-03-2016, 09:52 AM
I picked up a jug of the nickel Permatex back in my days of wrenching on aircraft, and still have much of it all these years later. Brush is a little frazzled looking, but there is still quite a bit left, even after using it on everything that I knew that I would have to take apart again someday. Spark plugs and shock bolts are a good example. Only takes about two or three molecules to cover everything in the immediate area and doesn't react with any kind of steel or aluminum.

Freestone
04-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Hi, first time post here. This thread is old, but it is the first to pop up on a Google search. I too have a stainless steel barrel, receiver, and barrel nut and was looking for the right anti-seize to use. The Permatex website says their "Aluminum Anti-seize" contains aluminum, copper, and graphite. I agree that copper is a no-no, so I e-mailed the company to see if their description was a generic one for all their products or specifically to their aluminum anti-seize. The e-mail I got back said; "For stainless steel and other similar metals we generally recommend out [our] Nickel Anti-Seize. Our Aluminum Anti-Seize does contain aluminum, copper, and graphite so there is a small amount of copper in it. Generally copper only enters into the SS during times of high temperature or pressure. For most applications this will not be an issue but if you are at all concerned then we recommend our Nickel Anti-Seize. -Technical Services ITW-Permatex."
So, maybe not the best for SS. Not sure if the barrel nut torque or gas leaking through the treads is considered high pressure/temperature. I've compared most other posters' recommendations to their perspective MSDS forms to look at ingredients. If it is true, what other posters say, that teflon, lanolin, graphite, copper, and lithium are bad, moly-grease grows acid producing bacteria, and nickel is a carcinogen then there isn't much left that would be safe for stainless steel that isn't harmful (nickel being a carcinogen). For me, that leaves: generic greases, Loctite Heavy Duty or Food Grade, and Pro-Shot Pro-Gold grease lubricant.
Hope this clears up any confusion about Permatex Aluminum Anti-Seize.

FW Conch
04-11-2017, 11:37 PM
A drop of oil ;-))

RC20
04-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I am just waiting for the Tin Man Picture to show up.

I use nickel as well.

I will never use copper on anything, we used it initially on bearing races put on fan shafts and it welded the two together.
Stuff should be outlawed.

keeki
04-12-2017, 11:34 AM
You should never have any kind of lubricant or anti seize on the threads of the action. The barrel nut is nothing but a jam nut, it's used to pull the barrel threads into contact the action threads. With any kind of material between those threads, you're defeating the whole purpose of the jam. If you want, you could lube the threads of the nut a little or the face where it contacts the lug

FW Conch
04-12-2017, 12:00 PM
Savage doesn't seem to mind using thread locker.

keeki
04-12-2017, 12:37 PM
Thread locker is the polar opposite of anti seize

RC20
04-12-2017, 07:39 PM
Its the polar opposite in function, but its the same affect that you say is at issue. Ie interferes with the function of the joint.

As the clamping force recommended by NSS with their tool exceeds the slipperiness of the lube, there is no issue.

In other words my nuts are still tight.

I won't argue with anyone that uses nothing to welding them on, but I will continue to use my nickel anti seize, it comforts me greatly.

Freestone
04-13-2017, 02:35 AM
So, I cleaned out the Permatex Aluminum anti-seize that I had been using on two different stainless steel set-ups. Took a lot of scrubbing and acetone, but now they are coated with Pro-shot grease. Went on just fine with no galling of any sorts. I lubed the nut to recoil lug interface also.
If you want something to read, that copper crystal corrosion thing is actually called intergranular corrosion I believe. Copper can form chromium carbide crystals that form microscopic cracks in stainless steel. This could happen under annealing temperatures (way hotter than I plan on letting my barrel get) or under extreme pressure (not sure how many psi that would be). I didn't see any cracks in my hardware, but these cracks are on the micrometer scale and nothing the naked eye can see. Also, if I read it correctly, once the copper is all used up the corrosion should stop. Then again, I'm not a metallurgist. Somebody in a different forum quoted NSS as using copper antiseize in stainless set-ups. If that's true, then maybe rifles just don't fall under the right conditions to be problematic in real world scenarios and it's not something to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J.Baker
04-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Savage doesn't seem to mind using thread locker.

Hey look! There's some of that fake news everyone's been talking about.

RC20
04-13-2017, 06:00 PM
No, that's alternative facts. You really have to keep that straight.

Story on microscopic cracks. Helter went down in the North Sea, all onboard dies (not the recent one, some time ago)

Short story is they recovered the chopper and found that the rotor shaft had sheared due to microscopic scratch crack propagation which should be impossible.

As they have very good tracking on aircraft parts (major reason why aircraft are so expensive is that and the certification process) and it had come off a specific line.

Following the production process they found a guy using a non approved scotch bright to clean after a process in place of the normal stuff (not sure what now) as he had run out of.

Said scotch bright put microscopic scratch in the shaft and that propagated into a shear crack.

Every one he had touched had them, that was the firs to go.

Stunning on how fine a line that can be.

GE on the 787 went from one coating process on a shaft to an industrialized coasting (hand build to main faster production ) and had an entire shaft section shed out of the engine on a high speed taxi test.

It literally broke the shaft in a few hours of run time.

Deadshot2
04-14-2017, 04:40 PM
The drawback to nickel base anti-seize is that it is a known carcinogen. It can be dangerous in environments where it comes in contact with bare skin...

As a new member I just got around to reading this post. I found the above statement to be somewhat humorous considering how we shooters deal with things far more dangerous like Lead, Primers, Smokeless Powder, and not to forget, the inherent dangers associated with the firearm itself.

I find that just being careful, using common sense, and washing my hands frequently when handling just about anything but my food, has allowed me to make into my 70's. :distrust:

As for the anti-seize choices, all things considered I just use the stuff sold at my local Auto Parts store for spark plugs. If I ever change it will be to "AeroShell 33" which is recommended for M-16/AR-15 Barrel Nut installation. In that application alone it works well with a variety of metals. Aluminum, carbon steel/stainless, all in a single "joint/coupling". How can you go wrong?

RC20
04-15-2017, 12:04 PM
I have to agree and I have yet to be poisoned (that I know of) by a Nickel!

I am not in my 70s but many days I feel like I am 150 so maybe that counts?

rjtfroggy
04-16-2017, 06:36 AM
If anti seize was needed the factory would use it they don't. If you feel you need to use something put a small dab of gun grease on the threads.