PDA

View Full Version : Action Screws

Hair_Boxers
02-04-2016, 05:56 PM
Has anybody found a "generic" 1/4" x 28tpi machine screw that works as an action screw?

Can get a Fr/Rr set from Boyd's, or singles from Brownells (if ever in stock), but wondering if anybody has found something that works at one of the myriad of online fastener shops out there.

The button head offerings I have found to date have a head diameter closer to 1/2" (.45 or so) and my rough measurement shows action screw head diameter near 3/8".

Inebriated
02-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Savage is quick to ship.

Only thing I've found were hex head bolts at Ace and TSC. They worked as placeholders on one rifle for me, but they're hideous. I think they're $2 each from Savage.

short round
02-04-2016, 06:16 PM
I use the button head, by putting the threaded part in hand drill & with drill turning, shaping the button head with hand file.

mike.223
02-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Just go to a hardware store. Not ace or that type. A mom&pop type and ask for a cap screw 1/4 28'.

barrel-nut
02-04-2016, 09:01 PM
I use the button head, by putting the threaded part in hand drill & with drill turning, shaping the button head with hand file.

^ this. I've bought some in bulk from Albany County Fasteners (online). A bag of 25 is around $10-12. The head diameter is a little large, but as stated above, chock it in a drill and turn it against a file or a bench grinder wheel. Then turn against sandpaper or emery cloth to smooth.
Buy them long, and get a nut to thread onto them too. Put the nut on the bolt prior to trimming. Then cut to length with a dremel tool and a high speed cutoff wheel. Then unscrew the nut, and it will clean up the threads as you remove it.
It sounds like a lot of trouble but it's really very easy. And if you intend to swap stocks around at all, you'll find you need various lengths of screws. Buy the bag of 25 and buy them longer than you think you'll need.

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Button-Socket-Head-Screw-1-4-28-Stainless-Steel-p/16000.htm

Hair_Boxers
02-04-2016, 09:11 PM
Buying standard button head and turning down to correct diameter sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks for the sage advice and confirming that it's apparently either buy the "right" part and pay more, or buy them cheap and customize yourself.

barrel-nut
02-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Also, if you buy the "right" part, and change stocks with a different design, it's not only more expensive, but it's not the "right" part anymore. That's why I like to make my own. I can cut them to the exact length so that they engage all of the available threads in the action, not just two or three threads, as is often the case when you try to use factory screws in an aftermarket stock.

Texas10
02-05-2016, 09:52 AM
If you want a quality fasterner, here's a link for a 1/4-28 clevis bolt. It's made for shear strenght but will work fine for the kind of torque used in an action. Just be aware that when ordering, the "grip length" date is measured from under the head to 1 1/2 threads from the end, not the exact end of the bolt. That is because in the aircraft industry, a nut must have 1 1/2 threads of the bolt exposed at full torque to ensure proper thread engagement. But they also give the overall length as measured from under the head to help out with ordering.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/clevisbolts3.php

Stockrex
02-05-2016, 10:20 AM
homedepot has a multipack or singles
search for -28 tpi

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4-in-28-tpi-x-2-in-Zinc-Plated-Grade-5-Cap-Screw-1-Piece-Pack-807228/204373296

nick4blu_81
02-05-2016, 09:34 PM
https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

Enter your serial number and it will show you a parts schematic. Click on your action screws, add them to the cart, go to checkout and pay. A week later they show up in the mail.

Hair_Boxers
02-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Ordered my 18-8 stainless button-head socket cap screws from McMaster. They arrived yesterday. Went to work on them last night making the required adjustments.

Chucked in the drill press and used a couple of files to turn the heads to diameter and put a nice finish on them.

Cutting to length took a bit more fine tuning to get things perfect, but well worth it. Measured twice and cut once. Then fine tuned the final finished length with the file. Cleaned threads up for easy starting into the action. Sit perfectly flush with the action for maximum thread purchase and no interference with action function.

Will see if I can get pics of finished installed in the action if anybody wants 'em.

I bought 20 of the screws (2 x 10 packs) so should be set for a couple more builds or stock swaps. Thanks for the suggestions above on doing it this way. Very happy.

Newsshooter
02-17-2016, 07:55 PM
I just got a pack of 25 from Albany county fasteners, took about three days to ship, now I have enough for awhile. :)

barrel-nut
02-18-2016, 12:50 PM
👍👍👍

kkeene
02-18-2016, 06:11 PM
Home Depot. Hex head out of their fastener drawers. I buy them longer than I will ever need. I keep extras on hand and cut them to length with a Dremel and clean up with a file. I use cold blue on the cut end just to make it look "factory".

barrel-nut
02-19-2016, 03:49 PM
How are you guys who are using hex head bolts able to tighten them without making the holes in the stock a lot larger to accommodate a socket? Seems like you'd have to open them up quite a bit.

mbzandhanna
02-24-2016, 04:44 AM
^ this. I've bought some in bulk from Albany County Fasteners (online). A bag of 25 is around $10-12. The head diameter is a little large, but as stated above, chock it in a drill and turn it against a file or a bench grinder wheel. Then turn against sandpaper or emery cloth to smooth.
Buy them long, and get a nut to thread onto them too. Put the nut on the bolt prior to trimming. Then cut to length with a dremel tool and a high speed cutoff wheel. Then unscrew the nut, and it will clean up the threads as you remove it.
It sounds like a lot of trouble but it's really very easy. And if you intend to swap stocks around at all, you'll find you need various lengths of screws. Buy the bag of 25 and buy them longer than you think you'll need.

http://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Button-Socket-Head-Screw-1-4-28-Stainless-Steel-p/16000.htm
This is EXACTLY what I did. Same company for the screws also.

GaCop
02-29-2016, 08:00 AM
I used hex head screws I've been getting at True Value. They're a harder steel than the factory screws.....pretty cheap too.

blvedere
03-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Take a look at some Allen head cap screws. I use them and they work great in my applications.

Just checked date on the post, don't know if this helps?