PDA

View Full Version : Saveage 111 Leightweight Hunter Stock options?

popeshawnpaul
02-04-2016, 01:35 PM
I have a Savage 111 LWH with the walnut stock in 6.5x284 (I believe centerfeed DBM and the bolt release is near the trigger guard). I took it on a hardcore sheep hunt and thrashed the walnut stock. I'm looking to cerakote the rifle and replace the stock. I love the lightweight nature of the gun and want to keep the weight down about where it is but this walnut stock doesn't fit my hunting style.

Ideally I want to camo dip the stock and get a synthetic. I had a couple ideas in my head and wanted to get some opinions. I looked into McMillan but it appears a replacement will be about $500 and out of my budget. I then saw that Savage makes a 116 that is the same rifle but stainless and with a synthetic stock. Can I order one of those from for about $250 or find someone that has one laying around for cheap? I'm wondering the quality of the stock and whether it would be a drop in replacement that I envision.

The other option I see is the Bell and Carlson 1017. Looks good quality and affordable at $250. Says it comes in standard sporter barrel but isn't the barrels on the LWH trimmed down? A large gap might look odd.

I then see other options out there from stockys and other online retailers but I'm not sure about quality and whether I would like the stock without seeing them. Any and all thoughts would be appreciated. Ideally I would get something that is like the original stock but synthetic and weighs about the same. Thanks!

Inebriated
02-04-2016, 03:49 PM
I've got both the factory synthetic (similar what comes on the 116 LWH, a non-AccuStock synthetic, may not be identical), as well as the B&C 1017. If you want, I can measure my 1017 barrel channel.

The B&C is certainly a little heavier, but the general shape and feel make it a much more pleasant stock to shoot with. At least in my mind. Also, it balances better, so shouldering and carrying it in the hand is a little more comfortable to me.

But realistically, the synthetic works fine. I used that for a couple of years as well. I know that the factory synthetic stock that my Trophy Hunter came with can be had from Savage for $105, so worst case, you're not out much on it.