PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use this brass??

LongRange
02-03-2016, 05:07 PM
www.petersoncartridge.com

i seen some claims on another forum comparing peterson brass to lapua. just wondering if anyone has any experience with their brass.

sharpshooter
02-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Well, just an observation.........seems like nobody on their staff is actually a competitive shooter, which might explain why they keep referring to "casings" instead of "cartridge cases". Casings are what you stuff sausage in.

barrel-nut
02-03-2016, 08:43 PM
It's as expensive as Lapua. Might as well get the real deal.

sixonetonoffun
02-03-2016, 09:04 PM
If the quality is on par with Norma the 300wm would be a bargain.

LongRange
02-03-2016, 09:08 PM
Well, just an observation.........seems like nobody on their staff is actually a competitive shooter, which might explain why they keep referring to "casings" instead of "cartridge cases". Casings are what you stuff sausage in.

lol...hopefully their cases are a little stronger than casings.

It's as expensive as Lapua. Might as well get the real deal.

agreed...and actually this brass is a little more..I ordered 25pcs of 260 to test out...I'm curious to see how it stacks up to lapua as far as internal volume,neck thickness,weight ect and especially how it holds up to higher pressures.

LongRange
02-03-2016, 09:11 PM
If the quality is on par with Norma the 300wm would be a bargain.

ill let you guys know soon but I have my doubts.

sharpshooter
02-04-2016, 01:57 AM
Here's my take: After reading through their website, several things threw up a flag. First off, they give an explanation of accuracy and precision with phony targets like they were explaining this concept to a non shooter. Anybody that is after top notch components has already grasped this concept, and shouldn't have to educated like a third grader. It was mentioned how they started with brand new machines, that were slower than "old, used machines". There is a reason for this. These machines are specialized, the "old, used " machines are not anywhere to be had, in fact they are all in service somewhere. The only choice you have is to purchase new machines to get into this business. Which brings me to the next point. Looking at the pictures, it seemed like a very big operation, just to make 4 flavors of brass. That is one hellova investment just to start making brass cartridge cases to sell on a website in this economic environment. A new business like that could only start one way......with contracts. There is no doubt in my mind this company had contracts with other major ammunition manufactures when the market was hot a coupla years ago, and no one could keep up. Now that the bubble burst, they trying their hand at putting their home brand headstamp on the products they produced for other companies. Basically since the bottom fell out, their trying to do anything to pay for those new "slower" machines.
The website could be more serious shooter oriented, as it is obvious that it was put together by an amateur not familiar with the shooting sports. If you want to sell products in this business you need testimonials and endorsements, not to mention some beta testing. The staff pictures need to be replaced by pictures of shooters and testers, not college geeks and supervisors. Seriously, who cares about their HR guy if he's not a shooter? The proof is in the pudding.
Sorry for the rant, but seriously I'm hoping the brass is good quality, but taking all things in consideration it's going to be hard to compete with the established benchmarks.

LongRange
02-04-2016, 09:30 AM
Here's my take: After reading through their website, several things threw up a flag. First off, they give an explanation of accuracy and precision with phony targets like they were explaining this concept to a non shooter. Anybody that is after top notch components has already grasped this concept, and shouldn't have to educated like a third grader. It was mentioned how they started with brand new machines, that were slower than "old, used machines". There is a reason for this. These machines are specialized, the "old, used " machines are not anywhere to be had, in fact they are all in service somewhere. The only choice you have is to purchase new machines to get into this business. Which brings me to the next point. Looking at the pictures, it seemed like a very big operation, just to make 4 flavors of brass. That is one hellova investment just to start making brass cartridge cases to sell on a website in this economic environment. A new business like that could only start one way......with contracts. There is no doubt in my mind this company had contracts with other major ammunition manufactures when the market was hot a coupla years ago, and no one could keep up. Now that the bubble burst, they trying their hand at putting their home brand headstamp on the products they produced for other companies. Basically since the bottom fell out, their trying to do anything to pay for those new "slower" machines.
The website could be more serious shooter oriented, as it is obvious that it was put together by an amateur not familiar with the shooting sports. If you want to sell products in this business you need testimonials and endorsements, not to mention some beta testing. The staff pictures need to be replaced by pictures of shooters and testers, not college geeks and supervisors. Seriously, who cares about their HR guy if he's not a shooter? The proof is in the pudding.
Sorry for the rant, but seriously I'm hoping the brass is good quality, but taking all things in consideration it's going to be hard to compete with the established benchmarks.

great post!!

and i agree...i think they made a little money filling a void for a minute and now they are having a hard time...as far as the brass being close to the quality of the big names i really doubt it...ill report back when i get the 25 pcs.

Londerko
02-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Hopefully it's quality, would be nice to have another high end 300 win mag option since lapua doesn't make belted magnum brass

sha-ul
08-10-2016, 11:56 PM
Any followup on this subject?
Anyone order& test it out?

LongRange
08-11-2016, 08:26 AM
i did get 25pcs of this brass and as far as weights,internal capacities,neck wall thickness its right in line with lapua...as far as it holding up as well as lapua im not sure as i didnt fire it enough but IMHO its as good as lapua or close...problem is its the same price or even a little more so i doubt anyone will be switching to it any time soon...personally i wouldnt be afraid to run it.