PDA

View Full Version : Barska Scopes

Balljoint
06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Has any one used any of these scopes, does anyone have any comments

Eric in NC
06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Cheap, POS - money would be better spend on a Mueller etc. if you are looking to cut corners.

Balljoint
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Then that would be a NO

Blue Avenger
06-30-2010, 07:46 PM
this comes as often as SSS and how to get the bolt handle off.
would think you would have seen the do not buy comments on them before.

psharon97
06-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Go ahead and plan on spending some money on a good scope. On my current target rifle I have a 6-25X56 Millet BuckGold scope. It holds zero well and does the job. On my next build though, I'm going to go to a Vortex Viper PST scope. The best scope for the money would have to go to the Vortex Crossfire. I put one on my older brother's build and the clarity and the quality of optics is amazing for the $130 he spent.

placek59
06-30-2010, 10:43 PM
+5 to avoiding the barska. -- A friend of mine had one that came on a package rimfire deal, and it wouldn't even hold up to a .22wmr.
I have 2 of the millett buck gold 6-25x56 that were mentioned. They are both really good for the money spent, I believe I only paid around $130 for each of them as a local dealer had them on blowout after bushnell bought them out (for some reason he refuses to do business with bushnell). My brother has a Mueller eradicator (sp?) 8-32x?? that has held up very well for him on a 10fp .308 and it seems to be pretty good glass for the $220 or so that they sell for. I also have a cabela's 5-20x alpha series that has been doing good on a .22BR. Those are some other cheaper alternatives that have been working out for me. I have been wanting to try a vortex but don't need another scope just yet. The main thing is to go with a company that has a reputation for excellent customer service, should you ever have a problem with anything.

06-30-2010, 11:07 PM
I have had good luck with the two barska scopes I have owned. I would never buy another, but I would not buy any thing less than an IOR now that I have that and a NF.

Balljoint
06-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Please remove post, i will be staying far away from these scopes

Peter_Kirch
06-30-2010, 11:28 PM
i had a barska swat... it looks good but other than that within 3 shots on a 30-06 the reticle busted loose. the adjustments were never repeatable. and the tiniest bump would make it come of zero. thats not saying anything about the clarity and resolution..

I went by the cry once buy once method after that, saved my money and got a nightforce. 925% improvement, also 925% more expensive.

Blue Avenger
07-01-2010, 07:51 AM
If on a budget tight right now and you need something, look at ebay for an old weaver, redfield, tasco and you would be farther ahead

Smokey262
07-01-2010, 01:14 PM
i had a barska swat... it looks good but other than that within 3 shots on a 30-06 the reticle busted loose. the adjustments were never repeatable. and the tiniest bump would make it come of zero. thats not saying anything about the clarity and resolution..

Other than that it was OK? ;D

Peter_Kirch
07-01-2010, 06:19 PM

Other than that it was OK? ;D

oh well yeah, it was great. I really liked it...until i decided I actually would like to hit what I was shooting at ;D

07-02-2010, 09:42 PM
To be fair my 6-24(if I remember correctly) Swat was pretty good in bright sun. I ran a few box tests while it was on my 12 .204 and it worked quite well. I shot my best 5 shot group out of that rifle while it had the Barska on it. .187" at 100. It was worthless above 18X,or in low light, and it had a nice black halo around the edge at all powers. It really wasn't terrible considering I have shot other scopes in the same range that were worse.

Peter_Kirch
07-05-2010, 02:11 AM
I've seen great reviews on the scope as well. I think it's not that the scopes are terrible it's just that the company has horrible quality control and that there is huge variations between scopes.