PDA

View Full Version : Going to start reloading

Pages : 1 [2]

Kadams1563
02-20-2016, 06:07 AM
^^^ for anyone getting into a Dillon call Brian Enos out of Arizona. He has better pricing, won't over sell you, and does a discount if you don't use a card.

schnyd112
02-21-2016, 03:25 PM
My ABC's is by dean grennell.

savgebolt
02-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Wolf,,,,,i did what you are about to do ,,, last fall after being away from reloading for 40 some years,,,,, if i had it to do over , i would look a lot closer at the Lee products,,,,ever post in this thread has great advice,,,,,didnt see it mentioned,, you will want a powder trickler,,, and if you ever consider case cleaning , i have the frankford arsenal tumbler that uses wet stainless steel pin media , it works well ,,,, good luck , enjoy

m12lrs
02-21-2016, 11:26 PM
All I will say is learning to reload is a journey. You can stop anywhere you want along the way but there will always be more to learn.

Fotheringill
02-25-2016, 01:07 PM
I am only going to say a few things based upon my own experience and mistakes.

There is a learning curve, and a steep one, depending on your prior experience, knowledge and familiarity with dies and what they do.
I would recommend going with one of the least expensive kits that you can obtain and get familiar and see what is a PITA and what is not.
Then slowly replace various items, whether they are a press, specialized dies, die inserts, primer tools, powder dispensers, scales and whatever else you will eventually see on your bench. Read, Read and Read as stated above. Chalk off your initial purchase of the kit as a reloading cost and the price of equipment. Do not replace what you like and are comfortable with and upgrade what you want to upgrade. Don't worry too much about shipping. Sinclair's has a free shipping option for $50/year. Again, get to know your equipment and what it will do for you and what it won't. When I started, i ignored my own advice as above. It wound up costing more (to this point) in large chunks, than if I did it as above.

PLEASE also be aware things may get expensive. You might want to stay with a full body sizing die with expander button (here we go) or go with something with or without bushings or micrometers or neck sizing only. Then we get to concentricity, neck turning, run out and a whole bunch of other stuff that will appear daunting at first and also second and third. The point I am trying to make is that you can easily blow $3000 for an initial setup, take a year or so to get comfortable and then decide you want a Redding Competition neck sizing bushing die with micrometer instead of the Forster comparable die. OR, initially get inexpensive, no bells and whistles Lee dies with collets and without fancy measuring do-dads.

And absolutely get the Lyman 49th edition reloading manual. Learn what is in the first section.

Example- Presses. You can get one for $75 which may be adequate for your needs or spend $500 or more for a progressive setup and then add more for the extras. Trimmers- Go with the gold or is a $50 trimmer good enough?

m12lrs
02-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Going to buy starter kit just want to know all of what else l should buy. What kind of powder primer etc. Lube

Why do you want to get into reloading? If it is to save money on ammo don't bother!

don't buy expensive stuff till you know you are going to stick with it.

to start you need a press and dies for whatever you are going to reload. brass and primers and bullets. Some way to weigh powder. Some way to install primers. Pick the most popular powder in the reloading manual to start. you can clean your brass with a neck brush and an alcohol wipe.

you can even forgo the press and use the classic lee loader. I bet many here started this way.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Classic-Lee-Loader/733635.uts

Wolf
02-26-2016, 11:38 AM
Ok so what could i get away with i want to do it right. I want to reload is 308, 168 grain btfj

mespalin
02-26-2016, 12:20 PM
I bought a Lee reloading kits years ago, and it still works great for what I need. Then get a die set for your caliber of choice. I Have added calipers, lee case trimmer, bullet puller, better scale, although the balance beam scale is a good way to learn, IMO. I have also found a good 2 or 3 reloading books is a good idea, because some brands max/min loads vary from others and it's good to cross reference them. Once to reload with a kit, you will find areas that are slow or not accurate and can upgrade or improve that step in the process.

barrel-nut
02-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Ok so what could i get away with i want to do it right. I want to reload is 308, 168 grain btfj

Are you serious? Are you trolling us? Have you even read your own thread? You originally posted almost a month ago. In the meantime more than two dozen good folks have given you a variety of answers. Some have told you "what you could get away with" and some have told you "how to do it right". If, at this point, you honestly have no ideas that you can communicate back to us, then maybe handloading is just not for you. There are some pretty awesome factory loads on the market in .308 that you should consider.

Wolf
02-26-2016, 03:10 PM
I don't know you

Wolf
02-26-2016, 03:10 PM
I can read

Wolf
02-26-2016, 03:12 PM
I am just trying to find out exactly what I need to buy thank you Nut

Pet-Rock
02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Get this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997/hornady-lock-n-load-classic-single-stage-press-kit

Comes with a rebate for 500 free bullets.

Then you just need to pick up dies. RCBS or Hornady Carbide dies have worked well for me for pistol reloading. I just load for volume when it comes to pistol, dont care so much about getting it all exactly right.

For rifle, where you'll be trying to get great accuracy (assumably) then go with nicer dies such as Redding, Forster, etc.

m12lrs
02-26-2016, 03:46 PM
I am just trying to find out exactly what I need to buy thank you Nut

What is the budget?

Hunting rounds, plinking rounds, precision rounds?

How much reloading do you plan to do