PDA

View Full Version : Advice on load development for 338 Lapua

dawg4life
02-02-2016, 04:08 PM
Here is what options I have to begin load development for my new to me Savage 111 Long Range Hunter in 338 Lapua, Vortex 6-24x50 ffp. My use for this gun will be long range steel shooting for fun and long range hunting on larger game like elk etc.
These are available:

Primers: Federal 215
Brass: Norma unfired 338 Lapua
Bullets:
1. Barnes LRX BT 280gr
2. Sierra Hollow Point Boat Tail Match 300gr
3. Berger Elite Hunter 300gr
Powder:
1. Imr-4350
2. Imr-7828
3. Imr-7828 SSC
4. H4831 SC
5. Retumbo

I'm just looking for a starting point I realize most of it depends on other things and I can work on charge weight, seating depth, etc.

darkker
02-02-2016, 04:46 PM
1) I'm just looking for a starting point
2) I realize most of it depends on other things and I can work on charge weight, seating depth, etc.

1) Your loading manual
2) Correct, so see #1

That really is the best advice anyone can give. We can't tell you what your wife would like, nor your rifle.

dawg4life
02-02-2016, 06:54 PM
That's a given Dr. Obvious my question is what have people had good luck with in the past. I don't have the money to buy several different brands of bullets and powder. I'm looking for something that somebody may of had success with and could give me a nice starting place. I'm looking for advice not an answer. If anyone could tell me exactly what powder-bullet combination my gun would like then I would have asked that question.

As for (your) wife I can recommend some things she likes if your having trouble.

bc160
02-02-2016, 11:20 PM
Hey dawg. I haven't used the 280's yet but have shot a bunch of the 265 lrx. Can't help you out with the powder you have on hand since I shoot Ramshot Magnum. What I can say is so far these bullets like some jump, as in start with at least .100" and go out from there.

simo hayha
02-02-2016, 11:26 PM
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/forums/5533-reloading-depot/13234169--338-lapua-magnum

good luck! ill have lm one day.

darkker
02-03-2016, 10:26 PM
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/338-lapua-load-development-advice-166472/

That's funny right there!!

I tell him to use a manual, and he's an arse. When a Berger tech tells him the same thing, he's beholden.

dawg4life
02-03-2016, 10:28 PM
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/338-lapua-load-development-advice-166472/

That's funny right there!!

I tell him to use a manual, and he's an arse. When a Berger tech tells him the same thing, he's beholden.

The Berger tech wasn't a horses ass

Please leave my posts and do not return

hafejd30
02-03-2016, 11:27 PM
I used 300 smk with lapua brass/cci 250 primers and RE 33. I know RE 33 isn't on your list. But if this may help I did a decent write up of my load testing. If you click on my screen name and find my started post on this it may help you depending on what you go with. Mine was a 110 ba with 1:9 twist

WinnieTheBoom
02-04-2016, 12:06 PM
+1 for RL-33. It's given me the best velocity and accuracy compared to Retumbo and H-1000.

CCI 250s are the primers of choice for a large magnum round, so I would ditch the Federals if I were you.

As far as bullets go, I've had the best luck with 285gr BTHPs. 300gr SMKs were a close second, but the 285ers showed a little more consistency. Both we're very similar charge weight and velocity-wise. As always, start low and work your way up.

My OCW test looked something like this:
- Max charge weight (reference with a few sources)
- Reduce 10% (starting charge) (x1 round)
- Add 2% (x1), then an additional 2% (x1)
- Add 2% (x3)
- Add .8% (x3) until you're one interval over your established max load

Good luck!

dawg4life
02-04-2016, 12:26 PM
At the moment I have the federal 215's and that's all I can find unfortunately

dawg4life
02-04-2016, 07:46 PM
My OCW test looked something like this:
- Max charge weight (reference with a few sources)
- Reduce 10% (starting charge) (x1 round)
- Add 2% (x1), then an additional 2% (x1)
- Add 2% (x3)
- Add .8% (x3) until you're one interval over your established max load

Good luck!

Thumbs up for this advice!!!

hafejd30
02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
At the moment I have the federal 215's and that's all I can find unfortunately

I'd stick with the 215's unless you have issues. I had one misfire in 100 ish rounds with mine with the cci. Research showed others having issues with the cup on cci being to shallow and seating to far in the case. Not sure if it was my issue or just a bad primer but they all suggested the 215 as well. I bought 500 a few months ago when I couldn't find 250's. Glad I did cause now my local shop can't get either

doctnj
02-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Look man dark is a good dude and your comment was childish. There is an undertone of contempt for guys, almost every few days that jump on "insert forum name here" and say 'hey what load should I use?' Many, and Im NOT saying you so don't be sensitive, don't want to put in some study time.

It all starts with bullet selection based on the performance of that bullet alone in the caliber you are interested in. After comparison study and subsequent projectile selection, then the manual is referenced. There is a list of recommended powders from the bullet maker. They are the experts here! The charges and expected velocities. Then the testing is now up to you. It requires time and work and there are no good short cuts. You can make note of others so called OCW's but yours will be different. It is only your responsibility to find it. Dark has 1600 posts. Can you understand how many times he personally has seen someone asking for a short cut. Some people develop a fast fuse after a while. And while kind of frank. He was absolutely correct. You have to thicken up your skin to be on line.

You can flame me but I really wont care.

geezerhood
02-05-2016, 07:37 PM
The only thing I would change if it were my list would be Lapua brand cases, once fired or new, in place of the Norma cases. I have used both and the Lapua cases are THE reason I went with the 338 Lapua rather than a 338 Edge. I can get 1/2 MOA and often better 5 shot groups with the 300 SMK, Retumbo, Fed Large Rifle Match Magnum Primers, LAPUA Brass with no prep other than neck sizing the new cases in my Redding insert neck die plus a VLD "deburring" tool applied to the inside of the case mouth - in my Savage factory LRH. That doesn't happen for me with Norma cases plus they don't last as long as the Lapuas.

dawg4life
02-05-2016, 09:37 PM
The only thing I would change if it were my list would be Lapua brand cases, once fired or new, in place of the Norma cases. I have used both and the Lapua cases are THE reason I went with the 338 Lapua rather than a 338 Edge. I can get 1/2 MOA and often better 5 shot groups with the 300 SMK, Retumbo, Fed Large Rifle Match Magnum Primers, LAPUA Brass with no prep other than neck sizing the new cases in my Redding insert neck die plus a VLD "deburring" tool applied to the inside of the case mouth - in my Savage factory LRH. That doesn't happen for me with Norma cases plus they don't last as long as the Lapuas.

Well I got a smoking deal on the Norma brass $35 per 50. They were on sale and I bought 150 so I have brass for awhile.

geezerhood
02-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Well I got a smoking deal on the Norma brass $35 per 50. They were on sale and I bought 150 so I have brass for awhile.

Great price, any left where you got them? I would definitely be shooting the Norma cases at that price.....I think I paid $2 / case for my Norma cases. If you prep them they should give you excellent results. You may want to anneal the necks after a few reloads to get more life out of them.

dawg4life
02-06-2016, 09:56 AM
I actually work at a local sporting goods store and I get things at a good discount, plus that brass was on sale though one of my distributors. All they had at that price was 3 boxes so I grabbed all 3.