PDA

View Full Version : A New SavageShooters Shoot!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Hair_Boxers
02-15-2016, 02:11 PM
I would be coming from Madison, WI.

Either via Chicago -> Indy -> Louisville

or

Rockford -> Bloomington/Normal -> Champaign

Folks from WI, MN, IA and maybe MO and KS would all make sense to connect with.

Rosco
02-29-2016, 09:48 PM
Is the head count Dr. Thunder, Scooter, Hair Boxer and myself?

Hair_Boxers
02-29-2016, 10:11 PM

I am probably actually out. I should have a lease signed for my new business location and can't swing being gone when my prime season is approaching fast.

Front Royalty
02-29-2016, 10:36 PM
Interested, but a10 hr drive one way with a 6 year old aint happening. April 9th/10th would be a different story.

scooterf79
02-29-2016, 10:39 PM
Im in unless unforseen comes up. Planning to book my room this week Provided you're ok with dealing with an amateur.
Scooter

Rosco
02-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Sorry to hear you can't make it.

I have a few friends from Louisville coming as well,but they shoot Remingtons..ughhhh. :) and all are welcome even us Amateurs!!!

For those that don't know Thunder Valley is sometimes used by Remington Corporate to test their new rifles. They even have their own really nice bench were not allowed to use. ;)

DrThunder88
03-06-2016, 03:31 AM
It is a really cool place set back in the hills.

I mentioned in another thread (http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?49777-T-post-Steel-Target-Hangers) that I had acquired a few steel plates, which, in conjunction with Rosco's steel and the assorted steel flashers and gongs at the range itself, will make for a target-rich environment.

yobuck
03-06-2016, 10:09 AM
Some of you guys might benefit by being a member at the Ridgeway PA rifle club.
The range is open every day all day for members for casual shooting except when
matches are taking place. Its a large facility with several ranges. The main range goes
to 1000 yds with lots of benches under roof. I would think overnight camping for members
would be permitted. But there are accomadations nearby also. I am about an hour away
and I am a member there although I rarly go due to having my own facilities.
Membership is $50 the first year and $35 a year thereafter. Steel sillouette is the big thing
there. Shooters from around the country come to compete. They also have a rimfire sillouette range
and hold matches for that also.

DrThunder88
03-09-2016, 08:02 AM
Sounds like a neat place. Rosco and I were just discussing this at our last shoot, but really all that's missing from putting on a shoot is someone willing to take the initiative to do a bit of organizing. Of course, having an "in" at a range is nice too. I'm trying to work my way into a club, which might provide another venue in the future.

yobuck
03-10-2016, 04:04 PM
Well as I recall there were some people who did put forth considerable effort into organizing Savage events.
Locations having the proper facilities aren't easy to find. The cost for renting facilities is no doubt costly not to mention availability on the chosen date. Getting people to commit financially is never as easy as getting them to say count me in.
The simplest solution would be that each person having an interest to join a club having the desired facilities in various regions of the country.
Then a group in that region could get together on a agreeable date. Wether it would it be worth the annual cost of a membership is an individual call.
Lets be perfectly honest here, those of us who are really interested in this type of shooting are doing it, and doing whatever is necessary
in order to do so. It never works that a few people want something for a group unless the group as individuals want it for themselves.

penna shooter
03-10-2016, 09:43 PM
Looks like fun.....

Rosco
03-23-2016, 11:54 PM
The forecast is looking good on Saturday (April2) with only about a 20% chance of rain, mostly sunny and a high of 60 degrees!!

scooterf79
03-23-2016, 11:58 PM
Sounds like great weather for me to make myself look like a fool in front of you guys lol. Seriously though, thats awesome. Hope it stays that way.
Rosco, Im comin down Friday (obviously) are there any gun shops, reloading places I should check out while I'm down that way?
Scooter

upSLIDEdown
03-24-2016, 12:44 AM
Man I wish I was closer to this, and wasn't shooting a match already that weekend. I'd love to meet up with you guys at something like this. Dangit.

DrThunder88
03-24-2016, 04:15 AM
It'll be a good time, rain or shine!

Scooter, Bud's Gun Shop is probably on your way, as is Kentucky Gun Co. On my first trip down to Kentucky, I spent some time on the reactive steel pistol range at Bud's, and it was a lot of fun. KY Gun Co was also a pretty neat place with a lot of stuff: Not a great selection of what I was interested in, but the prices were reasonable.

Rosco
03-24-2016, 05:22 PM
I agree with dr. Thunder those are probably the two best choices depending on your route. We also have Knob Creek Gun Range which is about 45 minutes north they have the semi annual machine gun shoot out which is pretty popular. They don't really have a great selection of guns and prices are not very reasonable. But it's still a neat place to visit.

scooterf79
03-24-2016, 07:15 PM
Ok, thanks guys! Ill try to stop by and check em out! We are gonna be slingin lead long range....we WILL have fun lol
Scooter

Rosco
03-24-2016, 09:59 PM
So what are you bringing to shoot?

scooterf79
03-25-2016, 12:12 AM
Planning to bring my 280AI, 6br Ive recently put together but am not ready for long range with it...but will probably try anyway lol. And my remage 6mmx55 swede thats still a bit of a work in progress.
How about you?
Scooter

Rosco
03-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Most of my time will be spent getting DOPE on the Savage 6.5 Creedmore, but I have a .243 Axis with about 20 rounds down the tube ,and a Weatherby .223 that only has about 50. Both need to shot some!!