PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 Safety Detent Spring?

Lynn
02-02-2016, 11:13 AM
On the older Savages the detent spring is screwed into the safety bar with a Phillips head screw.
I just replaced all of my trigger parts and trigger and the safety bar is not drilled and tapped for the screw.
The new safety detent spring does have a hole for the screw or maybe a rivot but none in the safety bar.
Are you guys just slipping the spring in place on the newer actions or are you drilling and tapping the safety bar first?
I have pictures I just don't know how to post them here.

sharpshooter
02-02-2016, 11:23 PM
Usually the old safeties came as an assembly, with the spring and screw attached. I've never seen a safety bar without the hole. You won't drill it , either... it's hardened.

BillPa
02-03-2016, 12:30 AM
On the older Savages the detent spring is screwed into the safety bar with a Phillips head screw.
I just replaced all of my trigger parts and trigger and the safety bar is not drilled and tapped for the screw.

I know this might be (is?) be a dumb question, but did you look at the far end it? Its attached with a screw as shown here.
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/rossman40a/11-10-08003copy.jpg

Bill

Lynn
02-03-2016, 12:39 AM
Yes I have looked at the far end and my older action is exactly like your picture with the screw.
The problem is my newer action doesn't have a screw hole in the safety bar.
On the older actions the thumb lever that slides the safety back and forth is attached and on the newer actions it is a separate piece as well.
All my parts are brand new from Savage.

adammiddagh
02-03-2016, 12:48 AM
I just acquired a gen ii short action w/accutrigger. I noticed that the trigger bracket had a cross spring through it that the safety used as a detent. Is it possible you ended up with the safety parts from a newer generation?

Lynn
02-03-2016, 02:26 AM
This action has the spring running horizontal as well. The action came with the AccuTrigger and I am converting it to a SSS Competition trigger.
I gave all the original parts away on another forum.
The reason for my post is some gunsmiths are telling me the detent spring doesn't need to be attached to the safety bar like it is in the earlier models.
Others are telling me it needs to be drilled and tapped hence the confusion.

Lynn
02-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Also in the picture above which shows an older safety detent and bar notice that the bar is solid.
On the newer actions the bar is hollowed out on both sides.
There isn't much metal there to drill and tap.

short round
02-03-2016, 10:02 PM
The wavy spring is not used with accutrigger. The Safety Bushing Pin (looks like dumbbell) is replaced by Safety Spring p/n 105265. Forget about drilling & tapping it is not needed. The thumb piece slides into the receiver from the rear, install safety, then trigger bracket with safety spring & your ready for trigger.

Lynn
02-03-2016, 10:23 PM
I will give that a try and Thank You very much.
I actually have two of the dumbbell springs as I ordered one and one came with the trigger assembly.
When I got the rifle originally the safety would move under recoil so I just assumed it needed the flat spring.