PDA

View Full Version : Reliability problems?

Kadams1563
02-01-2016, 10:02 PM
I have a savage stainless varmint action from NSS and have been reading how UN-reliable the savage action is. What are the problems that come up and are their fixes for them? I do notice on mine that it barely ejects loaded rounds. Is that normal? I haven't got to shoot it year so I don't know about empty brass.

adammiddagh
02-01-2016, 10:14 PM
I wouldn't say unreliable. If you are building your first, i would spend some time in the faq section. If the gun barly ejects, it may be worth reading up about extractors and ejectors. Sometimes, a extractor will get worn. Sometimes springs can get weak.

A Savage is bolt action centerfire is not going to throw brass across the room. If prone, my brass usually ends up about 12" right of the action. Maybe slightly back.

Kadams1563
02-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Well my action is brand new and has never been fired. Just wanted some ideas of what parts wear out and need to be replaced the most often. I already have a PTG bolt head.

hafejd30
02-01-2016, 10:32 PM
A 9/64th (.140") detent ball will fix that. This is common in savage actions with factory detent ball

I bought 100 of them from fasenal for $.40

adammiddagh
02-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Once set up and working, about the only thing i would consider a wear item, is the extractor. And that usually takes more rounds to wear out than most shoot.

Kadams1563
02-01-2016, 10:40 PM
A 9/64th (.140") detent ball will fix that. This is common in savage actions with factory detent ball

I bought 100 of them from fasenal for $.40

I'll have to look into that. That **** little ball and spring really pissed me off while I was changing. I still can't believe I found them across the room haha.

LoneWolf
02-01-2016, 11:07 PM
I tried all the "fixes" and was still let down by its performance. If you just shoot belly matches, spend a little time on the range now and again, or just like to swap barrels often Savage actions are solid.

If your looking for quick reliable operation from a magazine the Savage bolt head design is the weakest link in that equation.

I'm not a Savage hater I just had enough fighting with it for the performance I was seeking for my competition build.

Russmerle
02-01-2016, 11:49 PM
I tried all the "fixes" and was still let down by its performance. If you just shoot belly matches, spend a little time on the range now and again, or just like to swap barrels often Savage actions are solid.

If your looking for quick reliable operation from a magazine the Savage bolt head design is the weakest link in that equation.

I'm not a Savage hater I just had enough fighting with it for the performance I was seeking for my competition build.

What malfunctions are you having? Im only two savages in (bought new) and haven't had any issues. The only bolt action I have that fails to feed is my Remy Model 700 SPS... Right out of the box the remy failed to feed, then trigger recal, then failed to feed again... Savages, though the bolts are a little sloppy, have functioned great and are very accurate.

LoneWolf
02-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Accuracy was never the issue. Reliable extraction, ejection, and feeding from an AICS style mag regardless of position. I usually had to manually extract spent cases at least 50% of the time.

I switched extractors, detent ball, and bolt heads. I even tried switcjkbg to a Shilen DGR action before I decided the bolt head design was the overall issue.

Now I run a full custom action with control round feed, a mauser claw extractor, and a Springfield ejector. 0 binding and none of the issues above.

Robinhood
02-02-2016, 12:35 AM
I'll say it. He has a **** Mausingfield! And it is the sh!t!