PDA

View Full Version : My new 308

Wolf
02-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Just got it from Dicks, all around good gun. Very heavy front end (bull barrel) 11vt 20 in barrel 308. Now it was not bore sighted, scope was way off not even lined up, not a thing was tightened down . Now the bad part, bought some cheap ammo tul some thing like that $9.97 for 20 rounds then got some fusion ammo the cheap stuff got on paper and shot 5, to 6 inch groups at 200 yards.plus flyers. Shot 10 rounds of fusion ammo, had to resight gun 1/2 in two shot group at 50 yd, the just under a 1 inch at 100 yd . I put 28 shots down her today, last two shots were great. Next week going to get match ammo few boxes and see how good I am will start at 200 then got to 300. is it true if I sight in at 3 inches high at 100 I will be dead on at 300 ??? And will cheap ammo shoot that bad??? Thanks p.s took me 2 hours too shoot 28 rounds I let the barrel cool, and the trigger is light real light

FW Conch
02-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Congrats! :-)

Depending on what pill you choose, if You sight in dead on at 200, You will be about 1 1/2" high at 100, and about 5" low at 300.

Let us know how she goes. :-)

Russmerle
02-01-2016, 11:56 PM
Congrats on the rifle. Follow the link for a good ballistic calculator. Type in all of the manufacturer ammo specs and you can print out a chart that tells you bullet drop at different yardage in inches, MOA, Mil, etc... It's the best free calculator IMO.
Dope chart:
http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

Newtosavage
02-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Congrats' on your gun. I bought my first Savage - a .308 Trophy Hunter XP package - this past fall, and it shot so well I ended up buying another one, which also shoots just as well. Very happy Savage owner here.

With my .308 (22" sporter barrel, no Accustock but Accutrigger), I bought 6 brands/types of factory loads when I bought the rifle, just to see what it would like. After 120 shots, I concluded that price doesn't matter - you have to find what YOUR specific gun wants. Mine liked the Winchester silver box 150's the best, and those were the only loads that consistently grouped under an inch at 100.

Then I got an inexpensive Lee Loader for the .308 and learned how to use it. I was making ammo in one night, and not only was it inexpensive, it was **** accurate. Every hand load I've ever made is better than the best factory ammo I shot. My hand loads have ranged from 1" down to below 1/2" at 100 yards, with probably 15 different powder/bullet/charge/length/primer combinations.

Now my "non-accustock" .308 with a fixed 6x Weaver K6 is a sub-MOA gun out to 300 yards, all day long. I'm sure yours will be too once you get it broken in and find that ammo it likes best, whether that's factory or hand loads. Good luck!