PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 93R17 BVSS Accuracy Issues

Ebnash
01-31-2016, 10:41 PM
Hey all,
I purchased a 93R17 BVSS a few years back and haven't shot it for at least a year because it has just never been accurate or repeatable. After purchase, I immediately mounted the action in a Sharp Shooter Supply Match Rimfire Target stock with the heavy steel floor plate. I've done no bedding or accuracy work. I have verified the barrel is free floated. From a rest and sand bag, I'm getting 2-3 groups with vertical and horizontal variance. Admittedly, I did clean with a rod and bore guide early on, but have only used a bore snake lately.

The gun always shot like this. Thinking about sending it off for accurizing but thought I'd ask opinions since most of you are getting good results out of the box. I want to like this gun but it's annoying when my 10 FP is shooting single hole groups and this thing is all over the place.

I'm also see light primer hits lately. I've had the bolt apart and see no issues.

Any suggestions?..

Lorenzo
02-01-2016, 04:48 AM
stop cleaning it altogether for awhile. This definately made my 93 tighten up and now I clean every 600 rounds or so.

If your handy give something like this a try

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/savage-93r17tr-proper-bedding.html

Ebnash
02-01-2016, 05:53 AM
stop cleaning it altogether for awhile. This definately made my 93 tighten up and now I clean every 600 rounds or so.

Interesting feedback about stopping the cleaning. Today at the range, after only 20 rounds, I tried to run the boresnake and I couldn't even get the brass end to pas through the bore because it was so filthy. I had to blow out the barrel with compressed air to clear a path.

I'll take your advice on my next range day and shoot a couple hundred rounds with no cleaning and see what happens...

Lorenzo
02-11-2016, 02:15 AM
My boresnake is INSANELY tight when pulling through and thats even with a clean bore. For the brass end to not fit seems a little strange, it can be a little tricky to get started. Let us know what ends up happening after no cleaning for awhile. for me if I do a total scrubbing with mpro7, rod and brush and a bunch of patches, I'd say it takes at least a box of 50 probably more to tighten up.
With these kinds of rifles the barrel quality can vary some. Some come out good, some awesome and some bad. If after everything it still wont shoot call savage and they will send you a shipping sticker, they will test and replace what is needed for free.

shawnhu
02-11-2016, 03:06 AM
You may be passed the warranty period, but I'd call savage and see if they'll take it back to test it. I had a BSEV replaced under warranty because it wouldn't group.

penna shooter
03-16-2016, 04:50 AM

Any updates? Any range time and adjustments? Not sure about not cleaning it, it doesnt hurt to clean a new and fired rifle..IMHO. Good luck

MoJo59
03-16-2016, 07:34 PM
I use weed-eater line to pull the brass end through.

penna shooter
12-05-2016, 10:04 PM
Hey all,
I purchased a 93R17 BVSS a few years back and haven't shot it for at least a year because it has just never been accurate or repeatable. After purchase, I immediately mounted the action in a Sharp Shooter Supply Match Rimfire Target stock with the heavy steel floor plate. I've done no bedding or accuracy work. I have verified the barrel is free floated. From a rest and sand bag, I'm getting 2-3 groups with vertical and horizontal variance. Admittedly, I did clean with a rod and bore guide early on, but have only used a bore snake lately.

The gun always shot like this. Thinking about sending it off for accurizing but thought I'd ask opinions since most of you are getting good results out of the box. I want to like this gun but it's annoying when my 10 FP is shooting single hole groups and this thing is all over the place.

I'm also see light primer hits lately. I've had the bolt apart and see no issues.

Any suggestions?..
Try different ammo?
different wieght ammo?
Make"