PDA

View Full Version : Sav-2 Sear Question

archerben
01-31-2016, 11:53 AM
I recently received a new Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger, and proceeded to install it on an action yesterday. While watching the install video, it seems to (very briefly) imply that I am supposed to modify the factory sear to remove the sharp edge. This portion of the video is so brief (simply a before and after photo) that I'm a little confused on what I'm actually supposed to do here. So, my questions are:

1- Am I supposed to modify the factory sear?
2- If so, what is the purpose of altering the shape of the sear, and what is the end goal?
3- What if I don't alter it? I haven't as of yet, and it seams to be working just fine.

Thanks in advance.

foxx
01-31-2016, 11:55 AM
I have a few of these, I don't recall altering the sear in any way. They all work great.

dfrosch
01-31-2016, 12:37 PM
Pretty sure you just take any burrs off the sear by LIGHTLY sanding only a couple strokes.

My take is that this helps when setting the sear engagement.

olddav
01-31-2016, 12:51 PM
I performed the work in the sear but I don't think it's really required. RifleBasix may have updated their instructional video, but I'm just guessing here.

archerben
01-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback. The trigger appears to work very well with the factory sear as is, so I'll just leave it that way. To date I have Savage rifles with accutriggers, an SSS trigger, and now the Sav-2 trigger. The Sav-2 Trigger is without question my favorite. I will be buying Sav-2 triggers for all my future custom Savage builds.

cowtownup
01-31-2016, 09:06 PM
not to hijack this thread, but can someone share how you adjust the take-up on those sav-2 triggers??

dfrosch
01-31-2016, 10:40 PM
Take up? Mine are pretty crisp.

There's a screw and spring that push the finger piece rearward. They are parallel to the rifle bore. This doesn't need a lot of pressure to return the finger piece.

There's also a sear engagement setscrew and lock nut. If you adjust it, please test the rifle by slamming the bolt home a few times and bouncing it on the recoil pad.

archerben
02-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I haven't noticed any take-up in mine either.