PDA

View Full Version : Thread protector

DougK
01-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Hello, this is my first post. I've been combing over a ton of great info on this site. I was particularly interested in the thread (all 24+ pages) on the 10 FLCP-SR. I've found one to purchase. I'm willing to deal with replacing the bottom metal and 20 moa base but I'm a little concerned with the threaded barrel/thread protector. I've always been a pistol guy and my rifle knowledge is a bit limited. It's my understanding that any damage to the crown of a barrel can effect accuracy. If I should end up with a rifle with the thread issue how will that impact my long range accuracy and what are my options as far as a fix? Thanks in advance.

badmutha6
01-31-2016, 02:14 PM
I'm not quite sure I understand the question. The barre comes threaded to add either a muzzle brake of your choosing or a suppressor. The thread protector just covers those threads on the outside of the barrel to protect them from getting marred during handling and it being on or off won't have any effect on accuracy. If the crown is damaged by some other means, yes it will but the protector isn't there for that. The best bet is to get a foot brake and that will protect the crown.

DougK
01-31-2016, 03:08 PM
I apologize. That wasn't very clear was it. If I end up with sloppy threads and the thread protector won't stay tight what are my options as far as re-threading. Will it also require a re-crown?

I'm not quite sure I understand the question. The barre comes threaded to add either a muzzle brake of your choosing or a suppressor. The thread protector just covers those threads on the outside of the barrel to protect them from getting marred during handling and it being on or off won't have any effect on accuracy. If the crown is damaged by some other means, yes it will but the protector isn't there for that. The best bet is to get a foot brake and that will protect the crown.

badmutha6
01-31-2016, 03:17 PM
Well, I haven't seen one come off but that's not to say it couldn't happen. I also haven't seen new rifles come with sloppy muzzle threads. A corresponding die would clean that up and I don't think any of that requires a recrowning. I've sent barrels for threading for my cans and they have had to get new crowns

badmutha6
01-31-2016, 03:25 PM
Auto correct is kicking my but today. The barrels I have sent off haven't had to get new crowns

Bimmer
02-01-2016, 01:13 PM
What Bad Mother said... The threads on the outside of the barrel and the crown at the muzzle are two different things.

There are reports of sloppy/gritty threads, but none so bad that they had to be re-done.

A muzzle device MAY influence accuracy/POI...