PDA

View Full Version : Model 14 Walnut/Stainless - Black scope or Silver?

colesce
01-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just purchased a Model 14 American Classic .308 with the walnut stock and stainless barrel. Trying to figure out what scope I want and what color. Anyone have any input or pictures of their similar setups? Either black scope, black rings/bases or silver scope, rings and bases or stainless rings bases with black scope? Thanks for any input.

barrel-nut
01-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the forum, and kudos to you for having good taste in rifles! I recently scoped a similar rifle of a different make with stainless rings/bases and a matte black scope. I was very pleased with the overall look.
I'm not a big fan of the silver scopes on stainless rifles. To me, it's just too much stuff all the same color. I prefer to break it up.

futurerider103
01-30-2016, 03:08 PM
I'm building a stainless gun right now and I think that silver scopes look weird so I'm going with black rings and black scope. Probably another Leupold lungs my 2 other hunting rifles

colesce
01-30-2016, 04:49 PM
Yeah I am leaning towards the stainless rings and bases with a matte scope. Seems to look the best to me. Also, there is a lot more options in matte.

Bolthead
01-30-2016, 09:32 PM
I put the silhttp://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/b432/crestviewfl/IMG_0555_zpswxk4nmvv.jpg?1454349809699&1454349810988ver base and rings on my 116 with a matte black scope. Very happy with that look, especially with the walnut stock.

colesce
01-31-2016, 06:40 PM
I put the silver base and rings on my 116 with a matte black scope. Very happy with that look, especially with the walnut stock.

Any pics of it that you can post?

Mozella
01-31-2016, 07:20 PM
Shopping for a silver scope to match your barrel is a mistake as far as I'm concerned. First pick the scope you want or can afford. Then, if it happens to come in silver, go ahead and choose that option, but don't let the color effect your choice of scope. In other words, first decide on the scope; not the color. Mixing or matching rings to the scope or the barrel is a personal choice. I have had every possible option and all of them look good to my eye.

03mossy
01-31-2016, 08:17 PM
Any of you with silver rings/black scope/stainless action mind posting pics if you can?

Bolthead
02-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Picture posted

Mozella
02-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Any of you with silver rings/black scope/stainless action mind posting pics if you can?

Here ya go.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/565/23325755075_2c2b5a85de_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BxdAjX)_DSC6141-Edit-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/BxdAjX)

Bolthead
02-01-2016, 09:05 PM
Very impressive Mozella. Love that stock! Have you considered adding eyes and teeth? That is so cool. Please give us some more information about the "Gatorgun"

colesce
02-01-2016, 09:40 PM
That gun is awesome man.

03mossy
02-01-2016, 10:10 PM
Very impressive Mozella. Love that stock! Have you considered adding eyes and teeth? That is so cool. Please give us some more information about the "Gatorgun"

Absolutely! ! Might be one of the coolest stocks I've ever seen.

Mozella
02-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Absolutely! ! Might be one of the coolest stocks I've ever seen.

It's a McMillan F-Class fiberglass stock with a Savage Target action and a Shilen Match Select Barrel in .223.

I bought the stock in primer and spent a great deal of time grinding off the very aggressive and extremely ugly stippled grip texture on the forearm and hand grip area. Why in the world they would do that to a target stock which you hardly even touch while firing it is beyond me. It's not like someone is going to tramp around in a muddy swamp lugging an 18 pound single-shot gun.

Anyhow, once I got rid of the horrible grip texture, I primed and sanded the stock and shipped it to Tactical Graphics in Melbourne, FL along with a photograph and detailed explanation of what I wanted. I photographed the bare stock and then used my Photoshop skills to add the two-tone paint job and the Alligator pattern.

Tactical Graphics did the two tone base coat and hydro dipped the pattern followed by a couple of coats of automotive clear-coat. Not only did they do a perfect job, they did it quickly too. For anyone not familiar with this fascinating process, do a Google search on Hydro Dip and watch a video.

I highly recommend these guys if you need a Hydro Dip process. By the way, the same two-tone idea could be done with one of the many snake skin patterns.