PDA

View Full Version : Action screw dimensions for Savage PTA

PeaceAndGreens
01-29-2016, 02:44 AM
I used the search function but couldn't quite find the answers I'm looking for. I'll soon be getting a stock and action back from Stockade Stocks in Nebraska. They are tapping a hole on the action for a 4.40" screw spacing for added stability. Apparently these PTA's (at least the dual port) come with an additional hole drilled that just has to be tapped to allow for the 4.40" spacing. My questions are:

1.) What sort of screws do I need to mount the action into the stock? (diameter, length, and thread pitch)

2.) Are all three action screws the same length or does the rear screw need to be shorter?

Thanks!

GaCop
01-29-2016, 08:18 AM
The action screws are 1/4X28 and can be found at any Ace Hardware. The rear screw is the longer one. Get a few at Ace in 2 inch and 1.5" and you can cut them to length with a cutoff wheel in a Dremel. Screw on a nut prior to cutting and you'll be able to smooth up the threads after the cut by unscrewing the nut.

PeaceAndGreens
01-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Thanks for answer! I'm glad I can just run to the hardware store for them.

GaCop
02-01-2016, 08:33 AM
An added advantage to the aftermarket screws is they're much harder than the factory ones and don't strip out as easy.

PeaceAndGreens
02-01-2016, 05:51 PM
Out of curiosity, when cutting these screws to length, what is my margin for error? I suppose I want the screws to be threaded as far into the action as possible when fully tightened, but how deep are the holes in the bottom of the action. I would check myself, but I'm off at school and my action is sitting back home. I've got to wait till mid-february to get home and piece this thing together...argh!

bedlamite
02-01-2016, 08:00 PM
I generally assemble it without the bolt, count the threads sticking through, then pull it apart and cut the bolt. Keep as much threaded as you can, there are only a couple threads holding it together.

Depending on the stock, I have used the low profile screws from McMaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=10xw3iz

PeaceAndGreens
02-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Ah ok. I didn't realize the holes were drilled all the way through the bottom of the action. That should make things much easier.

FW Conch
02-01-2016, 08:31 PM
^ " b l " is right on ^ You only need 3 threads to get the maximum holding capacity of the 1/4"x28tpi bolts. Put your finger inside the action on the hole and run the screw in until you can just feel it. This should be about 3 1/2 threads, but if you don't quite make 3 threads, it's OK. Just make sure the bolt is not sticking up above the inside action surface. Mark the bolt on the outside of the action with a sharpie. This is the amount that sticks up past your stock into the action. The length needed for the screw to come through the stock, plus the amount in the action is the total length you cut the screw to, above the head.

During the 90's, I dealt with McMaster-Carr almost every week, and found them to be one first class out fit. They were a real pleasure to work with. May it still be so. :-)

GMFWoodchuck
05-17-2016, 07:00 AM
Ebay is a decent source of screws. They have assortment kits of 1/4-28 screws for a decent price.