View Full Version : Which scale do you use?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

XL105
01-30-2016, 08:50 PM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

Turbolung
01-30-2016, 09:04 PM
Definitely appreciate every word of advice you Fellers have shared. To be honest I'm liking that I can get by with the spoons, a trickler and a cheap scale. It doesn't sound like not having a high end scale is going to prevent me from reaching my goal..which is accuracy without dropping $100 on a scale or $300 on a dispensor. There's little doubt I WIlL not be able to resist the urge to upgrade I'm te. Especially for a dispensor I can rely on the automatically throw the exact amount of powder I want and not have to worry it its what it was supposed to be. But I don't plan to shoot competitions other than for braggin rights and ammo bets lol I also doubt I shoot well enough that a grains difference will cost me a shot. I hunt and target shoot for fun. Thanks for letting me know the dispensor that comes with a Lee kit isn't gonna give the results I want so I don't waste money buying one. If it comes with the kit so be it but if I can get by getting components I won't get it. BTW, is there a section on here for being used equipment?

Robinhood
01-30-2016, 09:06 PM
A balance beam requires a little care to maintain consistency and accuracy. Follow those guidelines and you will do great.

XL105
01-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

Turbolung
01-30-2016, 09:16 PM
Oh yeah, thanks for sharing which ones are good especially which disprnsors are reliable enough to set it and not really have to weigh it to make sure its dead on. If I wasn't using a stupid cell i d be able to throw a shout out to the one who shared that... I do hope to be able to shoot on your levels one day and it would be cool to have the experience to notice the effects of not using equipment that costs more than what I drive lol

Turbolung
01-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Thanks XL105

DanSavage
01-31-2016, 03:35 AM
The Lee dispenser is absolutely fine,, the problems come from the type of powder being used. Stick powder will not generally meter as well as a ball type powder. Ball powder is finer and will be more consistent. Stick powders like Varget and 4064 just through your charge a little low on the scale pan, place pan on the scale then trickle to where you want it.

yobuck
01-31-2016, 08:50 AM
Isn't that the point when shooting long range. Point being you want to ensure that everything from trigger forward is constantly the same. You want to take as much out of the equation as you can. Leaving only the guy pulling the trigger to be questioned and the wind. I think It would be hard to evaluate Your performance when you are questioning the tools you are using.

But you didnt answer my question. Its easy to say whatever we wish, but again, ask yourself the question.

yobuck
01-31-2016, 08:52 AM
The Lee dispenser is absolutely fine,, the problems come from the type of powder being used. Stick powder will not generally meter as well as a ball type powder. Ball powder is finer and will be more consistent. Stick powders like Varget and 4064 just through your charge a little low on the scale pan, place pan on the scale then trickle to where you want it.

Or if its a little heavy just dampen the end of a finger and take some back out?

XL105
01-31-2016, 09:09 AM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

yobuck
01-31-2016, 09:29 AM
Lol wow. Not only did I answer your question. The video did too.
Not sure what you are trying to argue. But to take yourself through the levels of "scoring" consistently. If you are not using the proper equipment your scores will be stage net. Consistently n accuracy can Only come when ALL the tools (including shooter) are of quality n and consistency. If your bullet isn't seated exactly the same depth of the same weight from shot to shot the shooter Cannot compensate for its inconsistency. Same with powder weight brass capacity etc.
I am not advocating for people to spend money on "higher end" equipment when only shooting 100 to 400 yards. Be happy with your equipment your consistency. It's about You. Not Me or any one else.
I am no where near my potential but I can say that the tools I'm using are pretty darn close. I'm very happy with All that
Hopefully I have now cleared up any questions you may have.

You have, and since your an experienced shooter you can no doubt understand the nature of the questions.
That being, the best equiptment wont make you the best shooter. And not having the best wont make you a bad shooter.
Someone just starting out loading really dosent need the so called very best and may well never need it to produce good loads.

XL105
01-31-2016, 09:34 AM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

XL105
01-31-2016, 09:37 AM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

yobuck
01-31-2016, 11:12 AM
He asked which scale you use. I told him And explain why I use it.

As did all of us, but now the question becomes, did the answers answer the op's question?
Did the poor quality video answer his question? Did the poor quality video really answer (any) questions? lol

XL105
01-31-2016, 11:19 AM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

Robinhood
01-31-2016, 05:20 PM
yobuck. I posted the vid. It was in response to the "precisely weighed powder charges are not important" mentality. Not necessarily and exact answer to the OP's question. However, as you know, one simple question turns into a plethora of questions when you get responses from the variety of posters you find on this forum.

Since many can claim to be an authority, sometimes we simply let the professionals speak. Nothing is incontrovertible but success adds legitimacy to the argument. Therefore; A good balance beam scale like and RCBS or any Ohaus manufactured scale can be the foundation of great reloads if it is good condition and has not been abused. Not a lot of money but with proper understanding and care it will do the job.

The Poster did not ask how he could become the best shooter with expensive or cheap equipment. With this brand or that brand equipment. He asked "which scale do you use"? He received several replies and several people decided to muddy the waters. Sometime you need to add a weir to remove the turbidity.

DanSavage
01-31-2016, 05:34 PM
Or if its a little heavy just dampen the end of a finger and take some back out?

I use the snort trap,, you put a little screen in your nostril and use the straw that comes in the kit and snort a kernal or two out if necessary.

XL105
01-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Yobuck is a f in idiot

BillPa
01-31-2016, 06:37 PM
While those two old goats fight it out :p I'm using the new old stock 505 I tuned last year after my son "permanently" borrowed my old tuned D5!
http://oi62.tinypic.com/v48jfm.jpg

It doesn't drift, doesn't need a power source, doesn't need warmed up an hour before use and its as accurate /repeatable/consistent as a Rolex or a cheap Timex. I do have two digital scales, a RCBS and a Gem Pro 250 but seldom use them.

Bill

DanSavage
01-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Your fine XL 105,, accurate scales is a good thing,, especially if your going to get into the long range game, every bit helps.